Paint Job

GoldenMotor.com

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
What type of equipment do you have? Air compressor? If so do you have a paint gun? Where will you be painting? Indoors? Outside?
My advice would be to focus on proper technique.
You can get good results with a spray can if you take your time and spray light coats. Make sure to let each coat dry . Lightly sand with superfine sand paper. Wipe down with a microfiber cloth doused in rubbing alcohol. Let dry,then spray the next coat.
Repeat as necessary.
Good luck!

Supercharger

Oct 1, 2012
Australia
What type of equipment do you have? Air compressor? If so do you have a paint gun? Where will you be painting? Indoors? Outside?
My advice would be to focus on proper technique.
You can get good results with a spray can if you take your time and spray light coats. Make sure to let each coat dry . Lightly sand with superfine sand paper. Wipe down with a microfiber cloth doused in rubbing alcohol. Let dry,then spray the next coat.
Repeat as necessary.
Good luck!
Thanks for the response squirrel, I have all the painting tools eg compressor , paint guns, I will most likely be painting out doors. Although the idea of dust makes me want to paint indoors, I guess my real question is what will come up with the best result?? Air compressed or spray canned

Cameron
auflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Best results, probably the paint gun. On the other hand you can get very nice results with a spray can providing you use quality paint and as pointed out above, take your time with good technique. I've done both and prefer a spray can since it is a small job compared to painting a car. I like Van Sickles Tractor Paint as it is durable, covers well and looks good.
No matter what you are going to foul up the paint job during assembly and later on through regular use so a great paint job is something that doesn't last forever and will require touching up later on. That's one of the main reasons I like spray cans, the ease in touching up.
Good luck and have fun.
SB

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
When I eventually have something to paint I will have to do it outside. I'll just build a cheap paint booth outside. A light weight frame covered in plastic sheets. Doesn't hafta be big, just enough room to stand in and move around what ever I'm painting. I'll even lay a sheet of thick plastic on the ground so my paint booth will have a floor.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Powdercoat, Gun/airbrush, then can, for Me anyways. An airbrush is good if you got one, fine sparay path not alot of wasted paint, plus you can use it to get in the nooks. There is a tutorial by Graucho on another site let me try to dig it up.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I have seen fantastic results from both spray can an paint guns Supercharger seems to me you have some experience with both ? use which ever your most comfortable with / or cost effective .
Gary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur with the post above. Depending on surface prep and experience, you can get a great paint job with either method. That said, I wouldn't try to paint a car with rattle cans but a bike is a different animal.
Use what you feel you're more experienced with and can do the best job with.

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur with 'powder coat'... it's cheap, easy & bullet proof. (^)

Also... I've seen a few Harleys that had some pretty nice custom paint jobs & I was shocked when they told me they did it all with rattle cans! :eek:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I have seen great paint jobs done using either and I have seen bad using either. Nice thing about using rattle cans for small stuff is the fact that it is easier later to go back and do touch ups. One of my other hobbies is rebuilding and restoring 1963-69 John Deere 110 garden tractors and implements. I use rattle cans on mine and like anything...results tend to get better with experience. Like Tom said...I would not want to paint a car with a rattle can, but stuff with fairly small surface areas can be done ok if you know what you are doing. I like using a good implement paint tot paint with and in fact I have considered my next build being done in John Deere green and yellow.LOL.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm really lazy, so I sprayed my bike with flat black bbq paint and I cover up scratches with electrical tape. I didnt even take my motor off, just painted that too.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
4jkeller , look into a product called raptor liner much smoother just as durable , khcarver1 use what your comfortable with or the best you can find in your area theres too many makers of paints to give you a good answer on that 1 .
Gary