need a chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i'm not paying $75 for a chain tensioner no matter who made it.

i just need one that's basically 1 of the kit tensioners, i could order one from 1 of the sites but that would take 4+ days to arrive, was looking for something more local that could be here in a day or 2.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I heard of some guy in Venice that has chain tensioning shims that eliminate the tensioner completely! http://motorbicycling.com/f23/tensionerless-chain-tensioners-22279.html
while i appreciate the link and like the idea, i'm not sure i have the clearance for it inframe, have you ever tried it on a worksman INB frame? i was having chain rub on my lower rear fork,so i need the tensioner to get the chain away from it. that and my chain may still work itself out a bit more since it hasn't been riden much yet.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
One thing that helps is to add washers between the dropouts & the hub to space the frame apart for more chain clearance. I did it recently on a Worksman with no tensioner.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
well i'm gonna pick up a half link and try the washer trick i guess, see how it goes, if it works and starts to pick up a little slack i guess i'll pick up your shims, thanks for the info.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I like the KIP one a lot but yes $75 is a bit steep. I would go about $45 on one. I like the shim idea too but I just want to put something on and be done with it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
well i'm gonna pick up a half link and try the washer trick i guess, see how it goes, if it works and starts to pick up a little slack i guess i'll pick up your shims, thanks for the info.
I've found that the 1/2 links for the engine chain don't work very well. I use the smaller 1/2 link on the pedal chain instead. ;)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
guess ill try that venice, looks decent too vtec. working on the half link atm though.

this bikes becoming a nightmare tbh though :(

i didn't read this post a half hour ago so i messed up a half link, bought a new one n gotta figure everything out now.