Florida MB New info

GoldenMotor.com

WoodyFlorida

Sep 11, 2012
West Florida
My local new ran a story saying you could now get bicycles with gas assist motors registered and inspected. -$62.$40. I found this email clarifying the law too

-----
This email is in response to your inquiries to this agency regarding whether placing a gas motor on a bicycle changes the bicycle to something that requires registration and a driver license, e.g. a moped.

The simple answer is no.* Our Legal staff has advised that adding a gas engine to a bicycle does not make it anything other than a bicycle.* A driver license is not required.* A registration is not required. You should check with your local authorities to determine where you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle.

If you are having an issue with law enforcement advising you in a different way, we suggest that you provide them a copy of this email and have them contact us directly.* Otherwise, we consider this issue resolved.

Sincerely,

Julie W. Gentry, Chief

Bureau of Motorist Compliance

Division of Motorist Services

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

2900 Apalachee Parkway

Tallahassee, FL 32399

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Fortress of Solitude, Florida
Yeah i've seen this open interpretation info before. The trick is when you go to register it you tell them its a custom built moped like someone who got pulled over on here was also told to do. Just dont say bicycle unless its along with the words "select parts" and you'll more then likely be alright. At least provided you wanted to get a plate so as to be able to ride openly.

Last edited:

WoodyFlorida

Sep 11, 2012
West Florida
This is the article i was referring to, as it appears in my local newspaper. (Northwest Florida daily news)

Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:32:42
A recent change to Florida law has made it legal for people to ride bicycles on the street that have been upgraded with a gas-powered engine.

Previously, Florida law allowed for bicycles outfitted with electronic helper engines on the streets as long as they did not go faster than 20 mph, but gas-powered engines were illegal. The new law allows gas-powered engines as long as they are below 50-cc and classifies them as a moped.

“I thought this was absolutely fantastic,” said Jeff Arnett, who started Arnett Motor Bikes in 2009 and installed the gas-powered helper engines on bikes.

In 2010 and 2011, the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office came down hard on the motorized bikes and Arnett eventual shut down his business.

Before people can legally ride their gas-powered motorized bikes on the street, they must first have the bikes inspected and registered through the Florida Division of Motorist Services. The local inspections office for Okaloosa and Santa Rosa counties is in Pensacola and the office for Walton County residents is in Panama City.

So far this year, no motorized bicycles have been registered in Okaloosa County, said Tax Collector Ben Anderson. The registration fee in Okaloosa County is $63, while the inspections cost $40. The bikes do not require a title.

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
**This email is in response to your inquiries to this agency regarding whether placing a gas motor on a bicycle changes the bicycle to something that requires registration and a driver license, e.g. a moped.

The simple answer is no.* Our Legal staff has advised that adding a gas engine to a bicycle does not make it anything other than a bicycle.* A driver license is not required.* A registration is not required. You should check with your local authorities to determine where you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle.

If you are having an issue with law enforcement advising you in a different way, we suggest that you provide them a copy of this email and have them contact us directly.* Otherwise, we consider this issue resolved.
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:32:42
A recent change to Florida law has made it legal for people to ride bicycles on the street that have been upgraded with a gas-powered engine.

** and classifies them as a moped.

**Before people can legally ride their gas-powered motorized bikes on the street, they must first have the bikes inspected and registered through the Florida Division of Motorist Services

The registration fee in Okaloosa County is $63, while the inspections cost $40. The bikes do not require a title.
Great info thanks again. From all that i'm thinking it means

You can pay the money and register your motorized bike as a custom built moped and definitely get a plate and registration along with an annual re-registration cost of only $7

or

You can pay the money and register your motorized bike as a motorized bicycle under the Moped Category (i'm assuming this gets you a plate)

or

You can use it legally unregistered/no license on designated areas and roads (that will more then likely never get outlined)

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
My local new ran a story saying you could now get bicycles with gas assist motors registered and inspected. -$62.$40. I found this email clarifying the law too

-----
This email is in response to your inquiries to this agency regarding whether placing a gas motor on a bicycle changes the bicycle to something that requires registration and a driver license, e.g. a moped.

Sincerely,

Julie W. Gentry, Chief

Bureau of Motorist Compliance

Division of Motorist Services

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

2900 Apalachee Parkway

Tallahassee, FL 32399
Hi Woody,

What is the date stamp of the above email?

The article was pretty cool! Go Jeff Arnett!

Thanks!

WoodyFlorida

Sep 11, 2012
West Florida
Hi Woody,

What is the date stamp of the above email?

The article was pretty cool! Go Jeff Arnett!

Thanks!
I did not see a date, but here is the page that posted it:
http://flbikelaw.org/2013/07/bikes-with-gas-assist-motors-something-new/
The county police here made a big push to stop gas assisted bikes and write tickets about three years ago. They successfully ran several builders and kit retailers out of business too, including five flags motor bicycles in Pensacola (their web page is down, I am making an assumption) I ride fairly often and I was never stopped, but I am in a rural area. And I am not planning on getting registered, I was under the impression that it was legal all along. But it was a nice surprise to see this headline. I feel more comfortable riding now, and i just got my newest project together so the timing was great.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I did not see a date, but here is the page that posted it:
http://flbikelaw.org/2013/07/bikes-with-gas-assist-motors-something-new/
The county police here made a big push to stop gas assisted bikes and write tickets about three years ago. They successfully ran several builders and kit retailers out of business too, including five flags motor bicycles in Pensacola (their web page is down, I am making an assumption) I ride fairly often and I was never stopped, but I am in a rural area. And I am not planning on getting registered, I was under the impression that it was legal all along. But it was a nice surprise to see this headline. I feel more comfortable riding now, and i just got my newest project together so the timing was great.
The email appears to have a 7/2013 date on it which precedes 05/12/14, which is the date the new change below:
http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-68.pdf

Whats your new project?

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
The email appears to have a 7/2013 date on it which precedes 05/12/14, which is the date the new change below:

Whats your new project?
great document, worthy of a save. Gonna be a fun time getting it registered.

"The original bills of sale or receipts with name, address, and signature of the seller for all
major component parts (when applicable). The identification number (when applicable)
for each major component part used to assemble the moped must be shown on the bill of
sale/receipt for that part. The bill of sale or receipt for the engine must also include the
year of the engine. Receipts/bills of sale must be in the name of the applicant/builder."

Gonna call tomorrow and find out what exactly "when applicable" means because if i dont have that info i'd rather leave it out then make something up

WoodyFlorida

Sep 11, 2012
West Florida

Here is the PDF file put out by the state about the procedure. I doubt the dmv will be familiar with this process yet because it is so new so it might help to have this printed out. The more I think about it I think I will go get registered too. I appreciate Florida taking this step for us. And it is my understanding that the price to renew each year after is not too bad. I don't think you even need a drivers license to register and get a tag.