carb gets lose and sucks air

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sealing the carburetor to the intake manifold with something or just relying on the metal to metal and the clamp to seal it? Use a good gasoline compatible sealer on the intake and the slots in the carb throat to seal against air leaks and to help hold the carb tight. Some suggest a silicone gasket sealer but most of them are not gasoline resistant and will deteriorate over time. I like Seal-All even though it makes disassembly a little harder. It seals and stands up to gas.

Tom

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
ya my carb seemed to fit tight ..but after only about 10 miles on the bike the clamp seem to rattle lose and the carb vibraqtes down the intake tube..i pull over and push the caRB back up the tube the idle goes back to noral,,....ther must be a better clamp or a sealant that will seal the leaks and prevent the carb from sliding arround,,,currently i am metal to netal with the stock clamp in place

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
Are you sealing the carburetor to the intake manifold with something or just relying on the metal to metal and the clamp to seal it? Use a good gasoline compatible sealer on the intake and the slots in the carb throat to seal against air leaks and to help hold the carb tight. Some suggest a silicone gasket sealer but most of them are not gasoline resistant and will deteriorate over time. I like Seal-All even though it makes disassembly a little harder. It seals and stands up to gas.

Tom
metal to metal with stock clamp....tell me about seasl all ...where do i get it

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've had a few carbs the wouldn't stay on no matter what I did, so I put a small sheet metal screw in the side of the carb (thru the hole in the clamp) & into the manifold to hold them on.
Just be careful not to get metal shavings down the manifold!!

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on,heat it up and then put on carb and use blue or red locktite on bolt and nut. No problems after 400 miles

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on,heat it up and then put on carb and use blue or red locktite on bolt and nut. No problems after 400 miles
Red label Loctite is a great product but has no place on a motorized bicycle. It is nearly impossible to loosen a fastener unless heat is applied which can usually cause more damage than what can happen with a loose bolt/nut. If you want/need a thread locking compound use the blue label product, never the red. Especially on a steel to aluminum assembly.
Tom