Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I only ride MBs in the nice weather

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • I ride year-round no matter what

Votes: 40 33.9%

• Total voters
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I'm sorry to say that I haven't been doing any riding at all lately. With the increased traffic here, and corresponding increase in stupid/texting/intoxicated drivers (we just recently changed from a dry county to a wet one), it hasn't been fun moving around on something that can't outrun/outmaneuver traffic.

I can still putz around on quiet streets in peaceful neighborhoods, but to actually commute here without using the sidewalks, I would need to keep up with the 55+ mph traffic.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
A little of both. Work is 8 miles one way from my house. Been tweaking the motor and playing with it, that and crummy weather has made it hard to ride as much as I would like. Plan on getting the motor running good this winter, and making it my main vehicle next summer. Just need to find a motor stand to test run and tune the motor now.

bicycle909

Dec 9, 2012
Rockford, Illinois
Riding everyday when weather is ok, 5 miles one way to work daily. Have a beach cruiser with fat tires, starting to get dark in the morning. How many miles can we get out of one of these engines? 10,000?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have to update mine

I do not commute on my Motorized Bicycles anymore 2011 was the last time I was able to commute.

The past few years I just ride for fun.
Things have changed again working two jobs and one of them I can commute on my motorized bicycle. Right now its only 12 miles but starting Tuesday I will be commuting 24 miles a day Mon-Fri.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
Rural? Well, yea - but then again alla Maine is "rural" heh

I'm sure there's more than us two, but yea - the road "salt" is a killer, they're using some funky new snow melt stuff and it seems far worse than just salt ever was - I hafta relube my chains twice a week minimum or they'll bind solid w/rust o_O Fortunately, the faithful Schwinn has an aluminum frame and it at least doesn't seem to care.

Cables freeze, rim brakes just don't work at all... but really the only "problem" with commuting in the snow is the lack of a shoulder (plowed snowbanks), which puts you in traffic, which is often having just as much a problem as you are... if not more. Interestingly - in a storm/blizzard when the plows can't keep up or there's even just a coupla inches on the roads I find myself passing cars with alarming frequency as they crawl along, unsure of the road, their car and themselves.

"Playing" in the snow is something I think anyone who can - outa, including car drivers... it teaches a bunch ina hurry lol

It doesn't even require extreme arctic gear, I don't run studded tires - just knobbies (lotsa lil lugs w/good spacing), A pair of thin, supple but insulated leather gloves (levers & whatnot), my regular work clothes w/a hoody (ears), a small scarf tucked in (nose freeze) & jus' my raingear over it on the worst, coldest days (around -30 °F).

I haven't missed a single day of work as long as I've been riding the MBs, which cracks me up as my coworkers will call out fer jus' a coupla inches of fresh powder lol Heck - my boss STILL isn't used to it, every time there's a big storm he says somthin' like "I didn't expect to see you today" to which my reply is usually, "Dude, been a coupla years now an' I've still not called in" o_O

*shrug* I won't lie tho - I'm psyched fer spring to say the least :D

that's bad ass man! i'm over in new hampshire and this is going to be my first year riding motorized in winter... been just biking to commute around here all my life... i figure riding with a motor can't be any worse than snowmobiling... just on the road lol i missed the snowstorm we just had (waiting on a new cylinder and piston) but rest assured, as soon as they come in, i'll be back on the road on a regular basis... don't currently have work, but i commute from my place in concord to my girlfriends place in franklin... bout 26 miles one way. i'm also looking at mounting a ski to a front fork to see how it does on the ice and maybe on the trails... i just don't want to end up ripping up the trails with the tire drive as opposed to track drive... either way, this winter is going to be a blast!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
that's bad ass man! i'm over in new hampshire and this is going to be my first year riding motorized in winter... been just biking to commute around here all my life... i figure riding with a motor can't be any worse than snowmobiling... just on the road lol i missed the snowstorm we just had (waiting on a new cylinder and piston) but rest assured, as soon as they come in, i'll be back on the road on a regular basis... don't currently have work, but i commute from my place in concord to my girlfriends place in franklin... bout 26 miles one way. i'm also looking at mounting a ski to a front fork to see how it does on the ice and maybe on the trails... i just don't want to end up ripping up the trails with the tire drive as opposed to track drive... either way, this winter is going to be a blast!
heh, bit of a blast from the past but no worries - I'm still silly e'nuff to be fightin' the frozen wastelands... the bike's changed though if nothing else has. Last coupla seasons it's been this;

Which is now this, soz no snow pics yet (been cam slackin');

...& thanks but it's far more "bad ass" commuting unmotorized as you have - while still a bit of a challenge riding the whiteouts is easier with a lil help. It can still be a chore but I think the fun ratio goes way up motorized, which I suspect you agree, as you're here lol

You doubtlessly know this but I feel I should mention it's the calcium chloride & rock salt that's the primary reason I've gone through a bike about every two years, the frames & motors last but jus' about everything else crusts right out & so fast it's stunning. Granted I'm right next to (sometimes in) the ocean as well, but even with attentive maintenance I'd not suggest putting anythin' you love through such abuse - best to have a beater for such... or jus' not care too much ofc;

Speakin' of which another aspect of winter riding you've doubtlessly experienced, tho I hope less then I lol & that's I tend to sprain, fracture or bust somethin' needful about twice a year. Late fall & early spring mostly, I'll pay an arm or a leg to forgetting the surfaces change, the transition between slick to knobby seems to trip me up & I'll crash rather spectacularly to remind myself - I'm not sayin' I don't mess up meantimes, but winter riding seems to claim at least one big'un as tribute... then again you may well be a better rider then I, or at least more resilient *shrug*

Don't let me spook ya, I love it & I'm still at it ofc - it's jus' there's a price to pay for havin' so much fun & if you're thinkin' a 20mi+ run on a regular basis... well, you're gonna need more chain lube if nothin' else lol ;)

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
well, for the long hauls, i keep a full tool kit with me and i've got a trailer behind me carrying the load... i've learned the hard way over the summer to always keep with me more than what i THINK i need... i've had to hitch hike with my bike once and had to pedal more than half way either direction several times due to lack of spare parts or the tools i needed to fix said issues... but yeah, i've always been a snow person... i'm all about being out and about playing in the snow during the storms...
i'm going stir crazy waiting for parts lol
on the bright side, i'm making use of the time waiting by doing what upgrades i can to the bike... ive started studding my tires (wow that's a chore!) and i've got a new fork and upgraded brakes from the pos stock brakes...
far as the bike itself, it's a fairly old trek 800... had no suspension and caliper brakes...
my brother just gave me a doner bike, so i'm pulling the suspended fork and the vbrakes and putting them on the trek...
i'll try to get some pics up once i get it back on the road... it's def not sexy lol... these days my budget is slim to nill, so this bike is frankenstiened together from several others... the fenders i made myself from old vinyl gutter... it's ugly, but they work GREAT! just mounted them using some angle brackets i had laying around...

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
well, clearly that pic didn't take... but i got both tires studded and the new to me fork installed... pulled the bike in out of the weather... just waiting for it to defrost lol

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Fortunately Living in this part of Texas means I almost never see snow, and with the drivers around here also not knowing how to drive in it I would probably just hoof it.
The worst I have to deal with really is it being COLD, I realize that its not actually that cold, but it feels Crazy cold compared to how hot it is usually even when we dip into say the 50's which would probably be tshirt and shorts weather for you people up north ;)

But even in the INTENSE texas chill I bundle up in my soviet gear and hit the roads, no one makes cold weather clothes like the people who live in a tundra!

loosecook

Dec 23, 2014
Denison,Tx.
.xx.Gave up cars almost 1 year ago, think it was March when transmission went out and I declared "No more". I started riding the only public transportation we have to work (doesn't run Sat. or Sun.) and bought a Wal-Mart cheapie for every thing else. A rear rack, a milk crate and I was set......NOT!!! I never noticed the hills untill I took that first ride home...my muscle memory apparently contracted alsheimers in the last 25 years ! So couple months pain and it was time to let an engine get worn down instead of me (Parts are cheaper to replace) Now I just have to quit breaking parts quicker than the mailman can deliver them and we're golden:-||

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Over 1000 miles in three months! (read my review in the general discussion board) Mostly hauling a trailer, loaded. Winter cometh to the high country, so it's bundle up and boogie!

I only drive a truck at work, I ride Tanglebones 50 miles to get to said truck. I prefer the bike, it's funner.