fall from grace

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I thought I would update you guys on what I have been up to. After my accident two years ago I had to make some changes. The only reason I did, was because my wife got tired of visiting me in the hospital.

After the accident on the Gasoline driven bike with the drop clutch and friction drive, I was ordered to go electric or plan on a nursing home. Mama wasn’t going to look after me.

So I did a lot of experimenting with electric friction drive using scooter motors. I got a very efficient drive using a small wheel driven by a large motor sitting on the bike wheel. Then I ran the two wheeler off the road because my eyesight was failing. No more two wheelers, I was told.

So I bought a used trike at a good price. I ran my wheel one a wheel friction drive on it. It worked pretty good I have to admit. I experimented with different motor and power supplies. I always had a little trouble getting the trike in and out of my shop door. The trike was only on inch narrower than the door frame.

Then I had a born again moment. My neurosurgeon told me I had cataracts. I had the surgery and I could see again. That re energize me, but alas I had already made promises I had to keep.

So I went back to work on three wheelers. I decided that I didn’t want to waste a lot of money on them, so I built my own. I used a full sized bike removed the rear wheel and the complete chain drive mechanism. What I wound up with was a three wheel electric moped. It was a real attention getter. For the rear wheel set up I used both wheels from a 16 inch thrift store bike.

I build a trailer designed for bike wheels, then just bolted my stripped down bike to it. Wa-la instant trike. Then to power it I used my wheel on a wheel friction drive with a variable speed control without a controller I don’t like controllers they are too fragile.

I put 3x12v 12ah batteries on the bike. One I wired one of them through a switch to deliver 12volts to the motor. Then I had a 24v circuit run through a solenoid, strait to the motor as well. There was a switch on the activator for the solenoid.

Here is how it worked.
12 volt on only = creep- no jerk on the wheel at start up.
12volt switch + 24 volt switch = 18 volts and slightly over medium speed.
24volt only = full speed and torque.

I tried it at 36volts on the top end but it was a little scary for me. Others might find it fine.

It worked find and I got a lot of stares from the kids in the hood. It did eat up tires though. I finally decided to break down and buy a hub motor kit for the factory made 2nd hand trike I already had. I it is a 36v 700watt hub with controller and throttle only. I bought that configuration because it came in a 24“ wheel. None of the others did.

So I had to build a battery pack and charger. All that other experimenting paid off. I did the 36volt pack made with 6x 12v x12ah batteries to make a 36v 24ah pack. With and on off switch for the power supply and an input for a charge so that the pack can remain on the bike at all times.

Here is the wiring for it.
The charger is a ebay charger 36v 1.6 amp from which I removed the bike plug in. I replaced it with and on off switch and a male end of an extension cord. Ground wire to the bigger prong side.

I always turn the power off before plugging or unplugging the charger and this is just the easiest way. I simply switch the power off to the male end.

The battery pack is wired with a wall type plug from home depot as well. Then to the controller. I also have a panic switch in the circuit but that’s just me.

Because of the wall plug I can plug the charger in and also my battery meter so I can tell what my battery voltage is at any given time. It’s an easy way to do it with easy to fine parts.

Hope this will help some other old guy get around. The hub motor does extend the range of the trike I can attest to that. The trike carries the less expensive more robust sla batteries easily.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, Deacon... I was just wondering abt you the other day...
Really great to hear from you!
Sounds like you have found a good option for you transport. :)
Best
rc
.trlrl.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome back deacon. glad to here you are ok. i am heading to nc tomorrow to see my dad. i also converted to an electric bicycle since we talked last

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks guys. I had to in order to keep the peace but except for the electronics b.s the are soooo much simpler. If you don't blow the electronics they just run and run.

The trike is the way for me to go but I would love to have this same hub on a two wheeler with lithium batteries. I bet it would be a hummer.

not to mention if I were 50lbs lighter.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Deacon,
Years ago when I found this forum, I started following your postings. After a few months of reading your postings; I built two Diy electrics. Now I am adicted. So I completly blame you for the enjoyment that I get from this hobby!

Jim E. (russell)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup, with lithium batteries you get 30 MPH and a 30 mile range.

And no noise, no stink, no vibration and no maintanance.

No evil looks, no pissed off neighbors, no hassle with the law and no regrets.

Ebikes Rock!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome back Deacon! Glad to see you're still riding. Like you, I've also converted to the other Eco Friendly side but my bike is still in progress. When you get a chance, post a picture of your latest transportation.
Ken

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Deacon,
Glad to hear you're still riding and playing with the bikes. Very good to hear of the improved vision. I'm still fooling around with gas bikes, but have a Golden Motor 36V front hub I bought years ago. I have a 1960's Schwinn American (girl's bike) with a China girl motor on it that has been sitting for a long time. I plan to add the electric wheel up front and give it a trike rear end using an axle from a riding mower that Curt Fox gave me... don't have the faintest idea how to do that yet, but I'll know when I'm done. I figure I can use the electric to start, to give more torque on hills or when I want to ride silently... but most of the time use the gas engine so it will extend the range. Don't know if my SLA batteries are still any good. Can't afford the expensive ones so will stay with SLA. Weight isn't so much an issue when you can mount the batteries low on a three wheeler. Speed is lower, too. Yes, post a photo of your current ride.
SB

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
its the trike in the avatar but with a hub motor. I like the hub motor okay but you actually get more torque and speed running a scooter motor without a controller. It allows the motor to take full advantage of the battery voltage. The controller somehow doesn't put out as much. That way I had the solenoid and direct connections to the motor. Wish I could have figured a way to save the drive wheels rubber and still got the power.

By the way I have a 2hp gasoline generator puts out 900 watts of ac current. Will run a battery charger so I can run it while I fish if they won't let me hook to the city power at the lake. Of if I go somewhere without power.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Like the guy who blames me I blame you Norman for adding the last five years to my life and the fifteen more. You were my mentor and I appreciate all your help.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon,
I'm glad as well to hear that you are in good health and still riding. We are all making concession to old age and the people around us.

Very nice trike and as you say the benefit is that it can carry sla batteries. Please keep in touch with us.

Steve.