my journey begins and never ends

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh, I just realized you get a reimbursement, you might want to check out the worksman bikes. I can't remember who but pretty sure there is a local retailer for them. I'm not sure but I seem to remember they are in a compareable price range. Anyway, the worksman frames are very highly regarded on this forum.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Ya that's where I was going to get the kit.
So your at the bottom of the hill, and I'm at the top. And it's a pretty nasty hill, I haven't seen many cyclist coming up Mariner or blue mountain since moving out here. I think it would take move than a jackshaft kit and seven gears to climb with a wee engine

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
lol ... Naw.
ive cliimbed up blue mountain many times. its easy enough.
mariner... thats another story.
im also running a 48T sprocket.. so more geared for the hills rather than speed

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Blue Mountain is still a pretty good slope, I would prefer more torque than top speed as well.

I picked up the bike today, everything looks good. I still haven't found much on mounting an engine on a forward pedal frame. I did read somewhere on here "electras are great, as long as it's not the townie" or something like that. I have seen a few examples, so it is possible. but its going to be a challenge I'm sure. I tried to attach some photos, but they kept failing to upload. So I'll see if I can make it to the engine store tomorrow.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
thanks Legwon, I guess it'll have to wait. I figured out the photo upload, my file sizes needed to be reduced. you can see the crank isn't at the base of the seat post, it's set forward about 8" or so.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
the funny thing is that the cables are so prominent at the front of the bike you would never guess they actually hid some of the cables in the frame. longer term I will probably try clean that up, especially with a throttle and clutch cable still coming.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
ah ... ok now..

hmm.. from the looks of it, you may need to take an alt route in mounting a CG(China Girl = 2 stroke) in there.
ive seen some ppl mount them onto something simular to a 4 stroke mount plate, with a couple bars coming out on a V to mount the CG on to. not sure if u can buy them or if u gotta fab them.
bike itself looks great! looks comfortable too.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
ya, most of the mounts I can see in photos or videos look half or full custom. Some look like they use the down tube mount on the motor, and customize the front mount. others look like individual solutions to the problem through various fabricated mounts. I'll keep looking at all the examples I can until I'm ready to move on it. Once I have the engine I will probably want to paint black any parts that can that aren't black already, so I have time to work out a plan for the mounting.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
thanks for the tip crassius, I will probably have to wait until friday to pick up the engine kit. I'll ask them if they have any extra mounts. most of their inventory is out of stock from what I can see on their website.

my wife also reminded me that my good friend just did a career change last year, and is now a certified welder. he has a very meticulous eye for detail in everything, almost ocd like perfectionist. so I think he will probably be fairly competent welder even as green as he is. he's interested, but he lives a ferry ride away so I'll have to do something for now. then when we can get together I'll worry about ascetics.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i have a few extra rear mounts kickin around here.
i have a custom mount set, so i dont use them on my daily.

more than welcome bud.
your just gonna need some extra long studs to make it thru

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
cool thanks Legwon. once I have the kit I can see what I'm up against, I think I might be able to get my hands on custom cut studs. I probably want the same length as comes with the jnm super mount kit. I could only find one review on the super mounts, they cracked and fell out as he was cruising and the motor fell off the bike. so glad I was warned away here.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I bought the engine kit today,
also;
blue loctite 242
pb blaster
an ngk iridium plug
high heat black paint
gasket material
lucas semi synthetic 2 stroke oil

I have been reading through the tips thread, so I need to clean out the gas tank, use loctite on everything, and also I see people making their own gaskets. the two kit gaskets look ok, I have attached a pic of them. 20150716_201556.jpg

should I replace/add to those?
what else should I do to prep the engine?

thanks

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
the headgasket looks good. Is that a metal exhaust gasket? i think the hole is too small, personally.

Check out the Porting threads by Maniac57, hit the search. Maniac57 porting
theres 3-4 threads. all good stuff!! i followed them on my latest engine, it rips!!

also ensure that when you mount it, that its 110% solid. these flex and rattle left right and center. if they arent TOTALLY solid mount, you WILL break mount bolts, loose a chain, and/or loose ur rear spokes :(

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Thanks Legwon, I will check out those threads. I think that is the exhaust gasket, it's not the same shape as the exhaust port. So I will see if I can make a better one.

for mounting, I'm looking at the forward mount sold by sick bikes as an option for one side. the other mount maybe I could do as crassius suggested, so Legwon if that's the plan I'll see about buying some old rear mounts that you don't need. if that's cool.

My back is still bugging me so even just trying to hold the little engine in place to see how it looks is difficult, so I'll try prep the engine the best I can before mounting.