2 stroke 80cc clutch question.

GoldenMotor.com

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
I am still assembling my kit on my bike. I am getting ready to do the clutch hookup. I am a bit curious, tho. My clutch arm swings out, freely, and stops dead when it gets parallel with the covering of the gear and chain/sprocket assembly. Is it supposed to be like that? I have tried to force it (minimally, I don't want to break anything!) and cannot tell that using the clutch that I have will have ANY effect. I am curious if I have the correct parts, since I have received already one defective part in this kit.
So, my questions are:
1. Is the free swinging arm, and dead stop normal?
2. Is there a site to show how a clutch is supposed to work, with an interior diagram of the assembly that is held on with the three screws?

Thanks,
geek

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Clutch arm is to operate in one direction,looking down on the motor standing behind it (carb side of the cylinder),,,the clutch arm should be in about the 5:30 o'clock position when the clutch is engaged (released lever at the handle bar),,it rotates toward the oppisite side of the motor(under the carb.) to dis-engage (squeze the clutch lever at the handle bar),,,,,,,,,,,,do not turn the lever the other way ( clock-wise),,,,,,the lever operates in a counter clock-wise direction only

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
The clutch has a heavy spring action to it and you almost must have the cable to pull the arm toward the engine for it to disengage the clutch. My first engine kit, I could not turn the engine chain gear with my fingers and had to use the cable and handle to disengage it so that I could move the chain gear and run the chain onto it...

What other part do you think is wrong in your kit?

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
Thanks, guys!

DudeZXT, I don't know what I'm looking at for any more defective parts, if any! I'm poking along with this, so far about 1 step per week!

Thanks a lot,
geek

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The chances are good that you have no defective parts. Most new comers will underestimate the amount of force required to disengage the clutch. As was stated earlier there is a very strong spring that needs to be compressed before the clutch can disengage. It can be done by hand but I'd suggest wrapping a rag around the clutch actuator arm first then apply lots of force inward. Don't worry; you're not going to break anything. When installing the clutch cable to the arm you want no slack. The required movement is about an inch at the least when you squeeze the handlebar lever. Some new clutches are stuck from the factory and will require a little gentle persuasion but I suspect you are just not moving the clutch far enough. Give these suggestions a try and get back to us if you need further help.
Tom