SBP"s exhaust chamber upright position

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I made my pipe in the upright position.I needed a piece of copper in the 45 degree without one end flanged.So i cut a piece out of an old set of handlebars. I also went to tractor supply and bought a $3.00 muffler and bored out the end a little and it slide right onto the silencer of the pipe.Drilled a whole and put a small bolt on. It did help with the popping noise these pipe's make.Its still a little loud but better.I was going to get some header wrap but its like $30.00. Any ideas on me not burning my leg?LOL!

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That looks sweet man, I like that - much tidier that way and ya don't need to worry about the rocks like I do lol

What about some expanded aluminum mesh as a heat shield? It comes in a buncha different styles... I dunno if you've a metal shop supply nearby, but I've seen it at good hardware stores too. It's real easy to work with...

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I rode it today with shorts on and its really not a factor. I mean ....I guess if you want to burn your leg you can. I still think some header wrap would be the best and easy, probably ugly,but also make it not so loud! my wife said it looked better down under the frame.I told her it looks more like a dirt bike. Heck women don't know sh**! LOL!

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I made my pipe in the upright position.I needed a piece of copper in the 45 degree without one end flanged.So i cut a piece out of an old set of handlebars. I also went to tractor supply and bought a $3.00 muffler and bored out the end a little and it slide right onto the silencer of the pipe.Drilled a whole and put a small bolt on. It did help with the popping noise these pipe's make.Its still a little loud but better.I was going to get some header wrap but its like $30.00. Any ideas on me not burning my leg?LOL!
Nice looking exhaust you got there...I have the same set up before but I decided to bring the SBP mufflers down because of heat towards my leg even if you have header wrapped the mufflers. Anyway here is a good wrap for your set up...BTW your plugs will burn if you have the mufflers too close...

Header Wrap Black-Fiberglass 50Ft~ Free Metal Zip Ties!:eBay Motors (item 200400713721 end time Nov-11-09 01:08:16 PST)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Mote places that supply header wrap also sell a spray on clear coat that will help stop the color from rubbing off on you. It really is made to stop the wrap from shedding fibers and seal it.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I put on header wrap on my airplanes exhaust when I lived in Wyoming. My exhaust pipes were a tuned 4 into 2 set up lots of pipe under the cowling making for a lot of heat leading to vapor lock not good in an airplane. The wrap worked like a charm.
Here's the bad thing I moved to Virginia lot of humidity there. One day while flying over a forest
fire I felt something hitting me from the air vent(it was battery acid burned me a little) and smelled smoke that didn't smell like the wood
burning on the ground so I returned to the airport. Everything on the gauges looked fine.
Once on the ground and out of the plane I had a new paint job down the pilots side of my plane
didn't know what the stuff was but new that can't be good.
I took off the cowling and found that my exhaust had rusted out allowing the exhaust to burn a hole right through the battery fried it acid every where.
When I took off what was left of the wrap I noticed that the pipes were checker boarded with fine cracks were ever I had the wrap on them. I'd heard of this happening and had kept an eye on it never seen it on the inspection I'd did about a month before.
I ended up replacing the complete exhaust I used a ceramic sprayed on coating this time and it does almost as good as the wrap.
Now if you put this on your bike it will work but keep an eye on it.
The wrap is good for on the ground use I would not use it again on an airplane.
makes a for a good story I was very lucky.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
This is a problem here in the "rust belt" Norman. Header wrap holds the moisture like a sponge when the exhaust system is cool causing rust to develop.