Time for some reason here

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I come from a family of conservatives. We all own guns. My dad was a bird hunter and made sure we each has a shotgun when he passed away. Actually there were more than one gun each in the estate. I had two rifles and a shotgun plus a shotgun I had purchased myself.

So I do have an interest of gun control issues. First of all let me say there is enough bull manure on the issue to grow most of the corn in Iowa. Let me start with my side's argument that is bogus.

The 2nd amendment and the militia thing. The idea was that if the new government tried to walk on the rights of the people, the people would take their muskets and change the government. At the time nobody knew if this democracy thing would work. Well in the two hundred plus years since, we have not needed to have a popular uprising. Well maybe the civil war would be an uprising of that nature.

But today I would hate to think of me going up against a trained soldier with an m16 and me with a duck gun. There is just no way a civilian army with shotguns is going to defeat the government. So both sides need to just get past that argument.

Now the other side argues that criminals won't have guns to kill you with, if they can't buy them. If they stopped making guns today, there would be enough existing guns in this country to arm every criminal (who is not going to pay a bit of attention to your control laws) for at least a thousand years. Let's be honest here. I gave you the militia thing now give me that you can't disarm criminals. If you want to pass a law that criminals committing crimes with firearms will be shot on sight, I doubt that the nra will object.

Civilians carrying concealed weapons is a jump ball in my opinion. I would suggest to you that gun crimes are very unlikely by people who go to all the trouble and jump through all the hoops to get a carry permit. I just wouldn't worry about them. It's just a logical thing. Then again I don't want some untrained yahoo with marginal control of his emotions in a crowded restaurant with a gun on his hip either. Maybe make it very hard to get one (I think it is already) and shoot the offenders on sight.

Assault weapons is another problem for me. I don't mind that my neighbor has the Chinese version of the AK17. I would mind if some of the guys who lived in the hood around me did though. So that one I'm ambivalent on. You want to ban assault weapons I won't fight you that much. However know that we see it as the first step on total banning of guns and I will fight you on that one.

Permits to buy hand guns. I have no problem with that at all. The only thing I would ever use a gun for these days is to protect my family from home invasion. For that I have a shotgun (not one of my dads) that has a barrel cut to trench length. Trench gun length is 1/4 longer than the shortest legal limit. It is my opinion, at night in a dark house, even an experienced marksman can't hit a thug with a pistol. Give me #4 duck shot in a short barreled shotgun and I'll show you mass destruction. If you try to ban guns for home protection you will see a riot at the ballot box.

Now for the gun accident garbage. There are a thousand times more people killed accidentally by cars but nobody wants to ban cars. There are even more people killed by poison accidentally than by guns. I haven't heard anyone suggesting we ban Draino.

Come on folks be honest, why do they really want to ban guns. It isn't to enslave the population, **** we already are enslaved. I think it is a more about attitude than anything else. If the state is going to own everything, the individual's right to protect what is his has to be eliminated. The state wants to decide the value of your life, IE the punishment for the man who breaks into your house and kills you. As it is now, I get to decide his punishment. I still have that small bit of basic control. Some people want to tell me I don't have the right to defend myself because I might go too far. Only the cop who arrives ten minutes after I'm dead, and the jury of his peers can give him real justice. I'm sorry but I don't see it that way. So that is the real argument. Who has the right to decide your fate. Does your life have value as an individual or not, that to me is the basic argument.

For me see it's a personal/practical thing. I don't much care for this grandiose BS. Let's just cut to the chase. Now some liberal needs to tell me his version just so we know.

Just so you know I do not consider this about politics..... But if you do delete it.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hey Deacon I'm a Liberal. Thats a political party here in Canada and the ba*stards brought gun control to us. That is a laugh, every crook and drug dealer in Canada has a gun complements of the U.S. They bring them in over the border as fast as they need them. Not Saturday night specials either. Heavy automatic weapons that the cops can't match.
Watching the news, the unstable already have hand guns in bars in both countrys.

I too was raised by a Dad who was a hunter. When he was a boy, a man that didn't hunt, didn't eat in his part of the world. He was also taught to hunt by people of the First Nations here in Canada. I'm sure your Dad was as strict about gun safty as my Dad was. I only pointed a gun his way once. No one on the face of this earth would ever have done it twice.
Who will teach kids to day those lessons?

I agree whole heartedly with what you say. Education and hard time for the ones that use a gun in a crime would help too.
We can own guns in Canada but the gun safty course isn't a push over and the hand gun course is even harder.

My nephew who is a member of the Canadian Armed Forces has a trench shot shot gun and it is as you said perfect for anyone who thinks what is your should be thiers. He also has a hand gun made in Isreal that he bought when he was in the Golan heights with the U.N. He leaves for Ahfganistan in a month. Don't think he can take them with him.

A boyhood friend of mines Dad was a cop. As we got older it was great because we could ask his opinion of all things legal. When the question came up about what to do if you were a victim of a break and enter he told us this. Make sure they are inside the house when the cops get there and wash away the drag marks.
May not work today but 50 years ago it was different.

Before I forget Conservatives are the other political party in Canada

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I lived in the U.S., my gun toting friends used to rib me about being afraid to carry a gun. They never really understood that I wasn't afraid of the gun,I was afraid of me.

Steve.