Running full blast

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
I think my engine will run longer if I operate it at full blast after warm up all the time, seems to really like it. Like a chain saw or weed wacker. Am I wrong to think this just seems better. Seems smoother operation.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Well they do like to run.....by "run longer", do you mean last longer?

I suppose in some ways, maybe. But like most things with wear surfaces, the more the use the more the wear. Use a good oil, mixed a bit rich and go.....

Personally if I get a year or two out of mine, it's all joy. I haven't killed it...........YET!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mine does around 36 mph full blast and it may be good for the motor i am not really sure thier but not for the bicyle, motor mounts, and everything else. i ussually cruise around 30 mph with my 70cc motorized bicycle

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
I can get just over 33mph out of the 32cc I ride - and it seems to like flat out and not have any problems doing 20 miles at that speed..

However under 20mph is a different proposition - it sounds rough and uneven as if it doesnt like that speed and my 'mechanical ear' doesnt like the sound it makes either..

I think, definately with the commercial engines, that they are designed to run full power for extended periods and for some reason they dont like partial speed running as much...

As long as the petroil mixture and such is correct and the state of the bike/tires/mounts etc is monitored these machines should run wide open all day :)

Jemma xx

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Like Jemma, my mechanical ear hurts when my motor is clanging around. I use almost two ozs. of amsoil per litre of gas as this seems to slow things down a bit but my china girl seems happy with this mix. As far as going full out all day , I would never do that and prefer to give it short blasts.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Every engine is different, I run each one at whatever speed it likes best...
I built one two days ago than runs really solid & crisp from 1/2 throttle all the way up.
The "Bomber" loves it at full throttle, my old "Indian" bike liked it at 3/4... ?
Just go a little fat on the oil mix, & run it where it likes!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Maybe this will shed some light on the subject...

A given engines' "redline" is what the engine was designed to run at for it's ''service life", service life being defined as when the engine is no longer within factory specs..

So, if the engine has a 6000 rpm redline and a 500 hour service life, then if run at 75% of redlline, it should run 25% longer before it needs to be rebuilt. 50% of redline all the time would result in a 50% longer service life ect.

HOWEVER since these frame mount engines can vary wildly in quality control, one can only assume that "factory specs" are just as wild of a variable.

Run 'em where they feel/sound good, and don't worry, be happy. If you get 1000 miles from one, you got your money's worth.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
I guess I will continue to operate mine at full blast mode, and give it a little extra oil just incase. I really have heared that running a two stroke wide open is best. by several reliable sources. Think about it this way you would not run a chain saw or weed wacker at low RPMs

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Actually, I run my Homelite weedwacker at a speed just off-idle. I've run it this way for the last 8 years without so much as a plug change or de-carbonizing.

I run Sea Foam through it once or twice a year.

I run my chainsaw(s) about half to three quarters throttle 90% of the time and one is over 10 years old.

Run your bicycle motor the way you feel comfortable. They will either blow or run forever.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Bikejoe,
I disagree with your logic mainly because every doubling of engine speed causes increased frictional forces by 4 (friction is exponential). If friction is main cause of engine longevity than decreasing engine speed by 25% would mean a greater than 25% increase in longevity.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you are correct sir!

If I am correct, then it would be a good thing, if you are correct, then it would be a GREAT thing.

Like my weedwacker and chainsaw, by your reasoning, an engine run at lower speeds should last nearly forever.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, that's pretty much true. In many 3rd world countries in remote villages, the villages use Lister diesel generators. The generator runs at a constant 600 rpm and these generators have been known to last 40+ years without overhaul and shutdown only for oil changes and other maintenance.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't know if this has been answered before or not but does anyone know the rpm output of these engines at full throttle.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Info could be as accurate as the term 80cc but 2.4 horse at 4000rpm and they rev out at 6000 to 7000. If you were at 4000 rpm you would be getting the full power band as it would tend to mellow out after that. (At least on a Dyno, on paper )

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks that helps me a lot. I had a little bit of fear about trying to put a friction drive on one but that is pretty close to an electric motor I have used a friction drive on so it should be okay.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think the manufacture states 6300 as "redline"- to be taken with a grain of salt.

I know a lot of folks say that 35mph is about tops with a 44T, I have run one of my bikes up to 43-5 with a 44T with two different cars used as "pace cars". The engine is still running.