Personal Transportation for my only child..

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It's been a bad year for the last 2 Vale men on this planet...

My days are numbered, cancer, 50/50 I make it another 2 years.
Last night, our only child, my 26 year old Son Kelvin was shot in a home invasion.
He's alive, but he will never have use of his legs again.

My sole task now is to come up with something really cool he can get around on so he doesn't give up, but also something to ease the burden on my wife.

I know there are a lot of new innovations out there, but I also know my son, he won't take being crippled long unless he can get around with style and dignity so if you guys don't mind, can you help me by finding some links for where the new tech is now so I have a place to start?

I would really appreciate it as this is really going to be hard on all of us, especially my wife.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Oh no, this is just terrible news. We all hear about home invasions and now here it happens to the family of someone we all know and to your son. Very sorry to hear this and on top of that your diagnoses.
Pat

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sorry to hear about all this.

I know there are lots of different 3-wheel scooters around that do not use foot controls. Some look like a Ruckus, some like a classic Vespa, some look more modern.

But for stuff like shopping, he may need an electric mobility scooter instead. Or he may need to make sure that the place he goes to has mart-carts and easy access thereto.

Again, sorry to hear about this news. I hope fate goes much easier on you and your family from here on out.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm truly sorry to hear this... Please try to stay strong for your family!
I know that with the quality you put into all your builds, that you will be able to build him something special.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've always admired your commitment to quality and sharing that is a reflection of your lifestyle. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Don't give up.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks guys.
They finally took the breathing tube out today and he knows who beat, robbed and shot him.

We still don't know who the shooter was, Kelvins 'friend' who is a felon that cut his ankle monitor off brought him to Kelvins apartment.

I'm not really an 'eye for an eye' kinda guy, but boy would like to take his legs away before he goes back to prison, he ruined my son life for $500 and a cell phone.

If he just wants to get out side and ride around I'll just build another E-trike like this for him.

I'll just change the pedals to something he can rest his feet on, it's other thing, being able to use something that can help him walk.

The main thing though is he's alive!

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dang KC I'm sorry to hear this, I know its easy for someone that's not in your shoes to say but now you have to fight the cancer more than ever. I have two children and would do anything possible for them, yours needs you to stay here.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
KC I'm so sorry to hear this. Life isn't fair. I'm glad your son is alive and will live many more days.

i been thinking about this for a good part of the day, and I just thought whatever you come up with will be good and well built.

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Damn KC,
Rough ride.
I got a mangled leg. I mostly ignore it but it makes me think about what I would do without mobility. I often daydream of the ultimate offroad wheel chair. Not only dignity, but access up stairs and off road trails. Low pressure tires? Wide or variable stance? active suspension? Low or variable center of gravity? Electric with gas generator assist blended for minimal weight, maximum power and long range. No limits.

Steve

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Darn it KC as if things weren't bad enough. My money is riding on you both making it. I found that you do get used to being restricted physically and while you never have a choice it does become the new normal and you have to accept it.

Any chance that the state can be held responsible for letting the guy off with a monitor when they knew he was a dangerous felon?

All the best to you both.

Steve.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot.

Now the reality of whats next for us is setting in, so much for a comfortable retirement I guess, but a no brainer.

dob1385

Sep 9, 2015
new mexico
Im very sorry to hear about the cancer and your son. It sounds like your son was shot just out of cruelty. There are a lot of viscious animals out there. I hope you guys catch a break and also that they find the shooter.