NOTICE: Safest Chains For 66cc/80cc power king motor.

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse wants to know what is everyones opinion on the safest strongest chain for the zoombicycles powerking black stealth 66cc/80cc.

This is my first 80cc motor the kit came with a DH-083 (50 XINGQIYOUJILIANTIO JIAQIANGXING) chain.

The kit chain is a chinese size 50 1/2 Inch! I might be mistaken on that.

The BMX chain from F&R is a size........ what? Was supposed to be BMX 415 Chain.

I'm putting this motor on a greenline stretch cruiser for a customer & I know I should have known better the kit chain is to short.

I ordered 3 chains BMX from F&R Cycles and the will not fit.

Any suggestions on chains that are safest that will best fit this motor are appreciated. Thanks.

Should I use a #41 or 415 or what do you mb'ers suggest?

BTW Crazy Horse say Many Thanks To RedB66 for Motor Mount Design They're Super Strong!!!

NOTICE: Must See ( wheel rims thread more info 68 spoke ) Crazy Horse no shoot bow & arrows now suffers from 68 spoke-finger-itis

Peace Crazy Horse.

PS am I just another crazy injun or am I blind whats wrong with these 2 chains can you see what I see?

Attachments

hawaiioutdoors

Jun 18, 2008
The metric 219 chain

The metric 219 chain is a strong, compact design, used in Kart racing in Europe and Aisia. Lots of sprockets and chains are sold relatively inexpensively on Ebay.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have always used the stock chains,and so far have had no problems.In fact my first build had over 2500 miles on the original stock chain.But many people do use the #41 chain.I know that didnt help,but that has been my experience so far after 10 total builds.David usflg

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
that bmx chain looks like 1/8" which is for multispeed bikes like mountain bikes and other bikes 10-21 speed or small kid bmx bikes,also could be for a special bmx bike.
1-3 speed bikes like cruiser bikes and adult bmx bikes come with 415 chain which is 3/8" and is also the main size these kits usually come with,a few come with the thinner 1/8" regualr bike chain thou.
i use the 415 and the 415 chain will work fine but you can use the 41 if you want to.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I would definitly use #41 chain. The side plates are smaller than the kit chain, but it is still 1/2" chain and alot stronger according to the tensil strength charts. The #41 chain, master links and off set links are alot easier to find than the original kit chain. TSC and Northern both stock it. Comes in a 10 Ft. length for about $12.

John

hawaiioutdoors

Jun 18, 2008
Type of chain vrs 750 watts of power ? [Archive] - Bike Forums

EbikeHawaii07-
This is for those who spend the time to make a lighter more efficient system than you can get from any hub motor.First of all on mid drive systems it does not make any sense to gear down a motor to drive bicycle chain to match the pedal cadence to drive through a bike chain and a clunky derailer using a 750 watt motor.With less reduction (about 8 to 1 for a 26" wheel) you would be best off using a 219 or 8mm gocart chain and composite sprockets from 72 to 92 teeth that cost as little as $8. each if you look around.Of course you will need a strong low 2000 rpm torque motor above 1 hp or 750 watts of power to eliminate power robbing multigear reductions that all mid drives on the market offer..Multigeard hubs have a great efficiency because the ratio is low and they spin fairly slow.Not so with 3000 rpm motor reducers.These sprockets and 8mm chain are the most efficient chain/sprocket arrangement you can get for up to 25 HP and 12,000 rpm.
At 750 watts they are much more efficient than bike chain or #25 chain and the 8mm chain won't stretch at all.For 4 years I have only used this arrangemet on my ebikes...You can adjust sprocket ratios rather easily compared to buying another hub motor.
219 Sprockets are 40% lighter than anything on the market today. Made of Kevlar, these sprockets are stronger, quieter, more durable, and feature less sliding resistance (keeping the sprocket cooler, thereby increasing chain life) than either aluminum or steel sprockets. Specifically made for karts using 219 chain and 6-bolt carriers.

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
Looks like you have the typical junk 415 HD chinese chain. It's crap, look at how the roller bushings aren't even wide enough? It stetches like a piece of hot cheeze, unevenly I might add. It will crunch and snap under pedal power. I replace mine with a quality chain and it was worth it! Cost about 15.00 USD shipped and it was made by KMC. From what I've read, the 4 in the number means 1/2 inch pitch the rest has to do with the width. Made sure you get a 415 HD chain from what I see in your pictures.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Looks like you have the typical junk 415 HD chinese chain. It's crap, look at how the roller bushings aren't even wide enough? It stetches like a piece of hot cheeze, unevenly I might add. It will crunch and snap under pedal power. I replace mine with a quality chain and it was worth it! Cost about 15.00 USD shipped and it was made by KMC. From what I've read, the 4 in the number means 1/2 inch pitch the rest has to do with the width. Made sure you get a 415 HD chain from what I see in your pictures.
Shouldn't crunch and snap unless you have an alignment issue,, at least my chinese chains don't,,they all run good and smooth if extra time is spent to sight in the sprockets.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No. Stock will work fine with #41.
You will need to grind on the front sprocket cover a bit but it's easy.
Search "chain clearance mods" for lots of threads

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
!HOW! Crazy Horse wants to know what is everyones opinion on the safest strongest chain for the zoombicycles powerking black stealth 66cc/80cc.

This is my first 80cc motor the kit came with a DH-083 (50 XINGQIYOUJILIANTIO JIAQIANGXING) chain.

The kit chain is a chinese size 50 1/2 Inch! I might be mistaken on that.

The BMX chain from F&R is a size........ what? Was supposed to be BMX 415 Chain.

I'm putting this motor on a greenline stretch cruiser for a customer & I know I should have known better the kit chain is to short.

I ordered 3 chains BMX from F&R Cycles and the will not fit.

Any suggestions on chains that are safest that will best fit this motor are appreciated. Thanks.

Should I use a #41 or 415 or what do you mb'ers suggest?

BTW Crazy Horse say Many Thanks To RedB66 for Motor Mount Design They're Super Strong!!!

NOTICE: Must See ( wheel rims thread more info 68 spoke ) Crazy Horse no shoot bow & arrows now suffers from 68 spoke-finger-itis

Peace Crazy Horse.

PS am I just another crazy injun or am I blind whats wrong with these 2 chains can you see what I see?
Industrial #41 is plenty strong enough for any bike I can imagine wanting to ride and I get a 10' box of cheap chinese quality (Still quite strong, just sloppy compared to good stuff) for around $20 at my local hardware store.
It works great with some clearance grinding under the sprocket cover. Be aware it does have noticeably more drag when pedaling on a regular chinadoll build, but it's nothing objectionable and a small price for the strength and service life upgrade.
A good diamond or similar quality will be more costly, but well worth it for durability.
Easy to find at any industrial supply like Grainger

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm running a BMX chain. It's a wippermann 1R8 1/8 x 1/2. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It is a good strong chain and it won't twist and it runs through my engine sprocket smoothly with much less drag than the 415, however, the one I got will probably be too short for you.

Last edited: