Long-term plans for long-distance rides

GoldenMotor.com

DataPacRat

Feb 6, 2014
Niagara, Canada
My goal: two years from now, to be able to drive a motorized bicycle from Buffalo to New York City (roughly 500 km), or similar multi-day trips.

My budget: I can scrounge around $100 a month for any and all non-essentials; so some fraction of that can be put aside for a bike fund.

My current bicycle equipment: none, not even a helmet. (I do have a good assortment of hiking and camping gear.)

My hope for this thread: that some kind souls will help point me in the direction of some relevant info on getting ready for such trips, from acquiring a motorized bicycle onwards. :)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Take a look at some of the bikes that the members here have built, to start with.

If you're looking to take long trips, comfort is your first consideration. You've got to be able to sit in the saddle for an hour or two (minimum) at a time easily. Find a bike that works for you that way, then you can start thinking about the engine.

For instance, of my bikes the cruiser (which I admit is a little small for me) lets me sit upright holding the handlebars easily. The beast, being a mountain bike, is a different sitting position with some of my weight being carried by my hands as I lean forward on the handlebars. Both have thier advantages but to me the cruiser is more comfortable for long rides.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
A couple questions:

1) Is the motorized bicycle choice for fun, or out of necessity (cannot drive for whatever reason)?

2) What speeds are you looking to travel?

3) How much are you willing to pedal if a breakdown occurs?

4) Local laws? I thought I read somewhere that NY is not motorized bicycle friendly, but that might be within NYC.

$2k is a very healthy budget. Unless you are wanting to go the motorized bicycle route just for the fun of it, I would just get a scooter or used motorcycle and not have the worries of saddle comfort or reliability.

But if you are looking for a motorized bicycle and would entertain a non-standard bike, how about a tadpole recumbent? That would likely be my choice for a long distance motorized bike. A tadpole with a 4 stroke Honda or clone should be rock solid.

Last edited:

DataPacRat

Feb 6, 2014
Niagara, Canada
A couple questions:

1) Is the motorized bicycle choice for fun, or out of necessity (cannot drive for whatever reason)?
Partly fun, partly budget - that $100/month I mentioned also has to cover all my transit expenses, which usually means walking or public transit. I've had a bicycle before, which I enjoyed; I'm quite likely to end up with a bicycle again, for puttering around my city and county. If I can add a motor to said bicycle which extends the range I can travel, reduce the effort I exert, and is reasonably priced, then it'll be well worth the cost.

2) What speeds are you looking to travel?
From what I've been able to read so far, 20 mph would be quite satisfactory.

3) How much are you willing to pedal if a breakdown occurs?
Lots. :) I'm already willing to take multi-mile hikes at the drop of a hat; and once I get my bicycle legs back, will enjoy doing the same thereon.

4) Local laws? I thought I read somewhere that NY is not motorized bicycle friendly, but that might be within NYC.
I'm actually in southern Ontario instead of NY, where motorized bicycles are sold openly. If I can't cross the border, there's plenty to do on this side of the Great Lakes.

$2k is a very healthy budget.
It's probably going to be somewhat less than that - that $100/month is for all my non-essentials. I should be able raid my piggy-bank to manage $500 without too much difficulty by this summer; and it seems like it might be a good idea to get a few months of practice on a motorized bicycle locally, before taking a longer trip elsewhere.

Unless you are wanting to go the motorized bicycle route just for the fun of it, I would just get a scooter or used motorcycle and not have the worries of saddle comfort or reliability.

But if you are looking for a motorized bicycle and would entertain a non-standard bike, how about a tadpole recumbent? That would likely be my choice for a long distance motorized bike. A tadpole with a 4 stroke Honda or clone should be rock solid.
I'm not particularly familiar with recumbents, but am not constitutionally opposed to the idea. Would such a beastie have room for a good-sized backpack, panniers, or some other way to carry a similar amount of camping gear?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm actually in southern Ontario instead of NY, where motorized bicycles are sold openly.
Double check the laws anyway.. I was talking to a friend of mine back there a while back, he's a bit of a walking encyclopedia of traffic laws, and he was pretty sure they're classed as a "LSM" or Limited Speed Motorcycle, requiring that category tacked on to a driver's license. I might be wrong, they may have updated since then, or he may have been misinformed.

I'm not particularly familiar with recumbents, but am not constitutionally opposed to the idea. Would such a beastie have room for a good-sized backpack, panniers, or some other way to carry a similar amount of camping gear?
Many designs have space for all sorts of stuff. A small trailer can carry anything else, and you'll barely notice it if it's balanced properly.

DataPacRat

Feb 6, 2014
Niagara, Canada
I sent a message to the Ministry of Transportation Ontario, asking for details on the relevant regulations, and just got a reply which included this paragraph:

A bicycle on which a gasoline engine has been installed is a motor vehicle, but because it is not a motor vehicle which has been certified to federal standards by a vehicle manufacturer it cannot be registered for on-road use. The vehicle may be used on private property, with the property-owner’s permission; however, it may not be operated on a public road. Since the vehicle type in question is a modified bicycle, it is not a motorcycle or moped. Therefore the vehicle is most accurately described as a “non-compliant motor vehicle.”

It appears that the MTO's position is that motorized bicycles (including the "motor-assisted bicycles" defined in the Highway Traffic Act) are verboten. It's a shame - I was starting to look forward to using one to improve my bicycle-camping experience.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Ouch.

I was sure you could get away with them under the LSM class, like a moped or scooter. Maybe if you bring it up to 'standard' with a set of turn signals and brake light?

DataPacRat

Feb 6, 2014
Niagara, Canada
Ouch.

I was sure you could get away with them under the LSM class, like a moped or scooter. Maybe if you bring it up to 'standard' with a set of turn signals and brake light?
It's at least possible. Since the regulations being referred to are federal instead of provincial, I've sent an inquiry to Transport Canada, asking what it would take to be able to legally drive a motorized bicycle.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Cool. Often the problem lies somewhere in between the Fed and the Prov gov't.. the two often have different definitions regarding the same thing. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, so to speak.