My Will is Broken

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hey guys. I've had this Flaming Horse 80cc black engine kit for a while and I'm thinking of giving up. I'm in college right now and this is just too much of a hassle for me and I don't think I have the time to keep trying. There are too many problems with the chain alignment and I don't even know if I'm doing the stuff right. The only modification I have done is cut a small portion of the bolt coming out of the motor for mounting on the down tube (stupid thing to do?).
I'm really reaching out here. I know you guys don't want to read a thread of me complaining.
I need help (or therapy, haha). Is there anyone in the Southern California area who can help me in any way? I'd feel real bad for quitting. I'm located in Riverside, CA.
Or, how much can I sell these kits for on Craigslist? Only opened and completely unused (never ran before).
Heck, even some words of encouragement would help...

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

This describes what I'm feeling. :-||

Last edited:

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico
have you thought of just getting a used moped I myself want to do this because I like that 1900s steam punk look but if you live in town a moped is the cheapest way to go and they make sidecars for them.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you don't have tools or a place to work, this can get hard to do

being unfamiliar with using tools & making things will also make it harder

if either of these applies to you, then maybe you should find someone to help you with it

if you want to keep going on it, then read a lot here, look at a lot of the pics here to see all the ways it can be done, then start by just doing one small part at a time - I like to start with the rear sprocket, then the engine, then the chain & tensioner

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Jack, such is the nature of a chinagirl!
Patience....
They are a Very good learning tool.

I've paid from $140 - $200 for complete, not running on craigs.
You should try again, after a break!

Try this...
Start a new thread... Student Needs help Riverside, CA.
Forum members nearby will respond.

Good luck
rc

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think its better to learn about mopeds with a motorized bicycle kit, because if you make engine tuning mistakes on a Puch, Tomos, or other type of moped, the parts cost 5x as much to replace. Mopeds are heavy too, and parking one in a bike rack will prolly get you a ticket.

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
After you get the kinks out, you'll have a pretty reliable machine. I haven't had to do anything but add gas in 6 months. It's all about getting past that tipping point. If you have a dished sprocket, flip it and see which way loses the chain less. Then use a dremel to make the sprocket edges less blocky and more inclined to help grab the chain. Make sure the chain is tight enough that it takes some work to get the master link on with your hands, but not so tight that you can no longer attach it without tools. I was in your spot when I was building mine a few times.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Jack, Rusty has the right idea. If you start a thread with that title you will get local help. If you can post detailed pictures of your bike and problem I'm sure someone here on the forum has run into the samething and has found a solution.

Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Thanks everyone. You guys are great and this is a great community.
I was just in a slump but I've regained my will to work on this. I'm glad to hear that it'll be alright once I can get it done.
Thanks for all of your advice! Once I finish it I'll post some pictures on this forum. :)

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
I've been in your place before, just take a good break, forget about it for a while, then get back to it. Maybe even start all over with a bike that's known to be easy to build on.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

Hang in there and read and look at pix here on the forum, ask questions and. Double check yourself on every step, and remember the wheel has already been invented so dont try to do it again, follow rhe lead of the experienced that have proven their methods, you be good to go in the end bro, if I lived close by I would be more than happy to help you out, but central Texas is a good ways off.

If the bike you're using is a typical beach cruiser or the semi triangle shape mountain bike frame you should be able to get it set up without to many headaches but having access to more than a couple hand tools sure helps no doubt.

Best wishes and hope to see you up and going asap.

Map
.wee.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Jack,
next chance you get ask a professor at your college this......" can I really expect not to be aggravated with a kit that costs under $200 usually and motor about the roads of this land smiling" ?