rear wheel drop down kickstand installation

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
I'm almost done with my first build and after doing a little cutting and grinding on the rear wheel stand I purchased from BB I noticed after getting everything back together the rear wheel still has some play,as if it isn't torqued down enough. I checked and double checked and torqued the snots out of the axle nuts to the point where I know they have enough torque. My question is; when installing one of these rear wheel kickstand should I have installed the stand on the outside of the axle nuts and used 2 other nuts to fasten it? The way I did it was I installed it on the axle stud (outside the frame obviously) then used the axle nut to torque everything down. I ran out of daylight or I'd still be out there trying to figure it out. On the bright side with the rear wheel off the ground I was able to sit on the bike and use the pedal to kickstart the bike. I managed to get it to idle for about 30 secs after about the 5th try,then I couldn't get her to run again.I took the fuel tank cap off because it seemed like the fuel wasn't siphoning from the tank properly,the line had a constant bubble in it after the filter. Could I have the filter upside down ?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If your axle is tight and the wheel feels loose, your cone nuts need adjustment to tighten the bearings properly.
Search wheel bearing adjustment.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Thanks for the quick reply! this is a brand new bike but I know I did turn the very inner nuts a bit,mistakenly thinking I needed to loosen them for some reason. Then I came to my senses. I wrenched on them very slightly,but that could be the difference.This is a rear coaster brake hub if that makes a difference.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Even a tiny bit of mis-adjustment in the bearings can destroy a wheel.
Be sure its right before you ride it, especially at motor speeds.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Maniac is right about those bearing adjustments.

This is the voice of experience talking.

If they're not adjusted right, they're toast.

The good news is that it's not very hard at all. It would be a bit hard to describe in words. I won't try. But a youtube video or something like that will teach you what you need to know.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
Maniac is right about those bearing adjustments.

This is the voice of experience talking.

If they're not adjusted right, they're toast.

The good news is that it's not very hard at all. It would be a bit hard to describe in words. I won't try. But a youtube video or something like that will teach you what you need to know.
I'll try it in words......I always adjust the wheel bearings a very slight bit looser at the cone nuts, so there's a barely detectable wobble. The act of tightening the axle nuts when installing the wheel should take up that wobble and leave the bearings in almost perfect adjustment. If there's still detectable wobble after tightening the axle nuts, remove the wheel and tighten the cone nuts very slightly and reinstall the wheel. You're looking for no wobble and totally free wheeling with the axle nuts tightened. (How'd I do BGW?)

All that said, I setup the kickstand by mounting it separately from the axle. That big beefy axle looks inviting when you're trying to figure out a mount, but then every time you remove the rear wheel you have to remove the kickstand too. If you carefully drill a mounting hole in your drop outs, you can permanently install a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt to set up your rear-mounted kick stand.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
For coaster brake bikes with a motor, I like to leave a barely detectable clickiness in the bearing to allow for heat expansion when hitting the brake at 30+mph.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
and getting a bearing too tight can fubar it also. I always leave it on the loose side just a little bit.A VERY LITTLE BIT. especially on a rear coaster brake wheel. coaster brakes get hot. USE real good high temp bearing grease on those bearings.
fatdaddy.