First time Cranbrook Build Help!

GoldenMotor.com

BadBoy2114

Aug 2, 2011
Detroit, Mi.
ok, I got my kit today and couldn't wait to put it together......
first i mounted the engine...had to use the metal plate..drilling a hole in the frame. finally got it mounted....then I took the coaster brake off and put the sprocket on....left the brake off of it.xx..xx..xx..duh...not sure it i did it right but it is on. shortened the chain and put it on the engine....that's as far as i got....that took about 8 hours..and i'm pooped. A lot harder than I thought it would be.. here are the problems so far.
The chain is rubbing the tire...the crank does not turn freely....and i think i have the sprocket bolts on wrong do the nuts go on the inside ? And should I put the metal brackets between the sprocket and the gasket type thing and inside of the spokes....i only have them on the inside of the spokes...I watched so many videos on the engines, I thought it would be a breeze....hope someone can help....i'm confused...almost ready to take it to the bike shop...but i'll be patient. http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/xx.gif

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
These things take some patients *deep breath* lol.... I'm pretty sure you have to use the brake, bad things might happen to your hub.

To fit the sprocket you can grind the sprocket to fit or mod the dust cap. Use the rubber mounts on each side of the spokes and personally I use one set of the metal brackets where the nuts are, and yes the nuts are suppose to be on the inside.What do you mean the crank isn't turning? For the chain, I too have this problem. I've been playing with the axle to get a sweet spot. Mines not terrible but it might hit when it gets bouncing, most the time it's off though. Take your time, and expect to fix things. I have a cranbrook too,it's been a lot of fun and heartache too lol. I've learned a lot and expect to learn a few more things.

BadBoy2114

Aug 2, 2011
Detroit, Mi.
ok......what i mean the by the crank isn't turning is when i try to peddle....it is really hard to. ..but i was reading and is that because the clutch lever is not hooked up and in the wrong position ?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Ummmm.....I don't want to come across as harsh, but it might be a good idea to read the instructions a bit more. Drilling a hole in the frame sounds kinda iffy depending on where the hole is drilled.

More then likely, your LBS ain't gonna want to touch this bike with a ten foot pole if they see that you've drilled holes in the frame.

BadBoy2114

Aug 2, 2011
Detroit, Mi.
ok I think i got the wheel and chain on good...now i need help with the carb it looks nothing like in any videos i have seen. here are some pics...what the heck does the lever do....and is the carb supposed to be fully closed when it's not twisted ? And i also did not get a clutch lever unless that's what that thing is with the switch....someone please help...i feel like i'm almost there.

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The lever is the choke (or enricher) lever.

The clutch lever looks like a brake lever. You can get one at a bike shop.

BadBoy2114

Aug 2, 2011
Detroit, Mi.
i did get it running...it was great...but i don't have brakes yet so i pushed the enricher lever up to get it to cut off.....it is really hard to peddle to get it started..is it supposed to be hard to peddle....also i have to pull the clutch lever really hard to get it to where i can push the button in to make it stick in the dis engaged position...why is that ? appreciate the help. Also i did get a clutch lever..it was in the bottom of the box. thanks

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
i did get it running...it was great...but i don't have brakes yet so i pushed the enricher lever up to get it to cut off.....it is really hard to peddle to get it started..is it supposed to be hard to peddle....also i have to pull the clutch lever really hard to get it to where i can push the button in to make it stick in the dis engaged position...why is that ? appreciate the help. Also i did get a clutch lever..it was in the bottom of the box. thanks
With the clutch lever in it should be very easy to peddle. The clutch lever can be hard to pull on some engines but it will get easyer as it breaks in.