Pulling Trailers (wagons)

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
I was at Lowes Saturday, and I saw a guy with a HT motor on his bike. What was strange was he had taken a kid trainer attachment and converted it into an adapter for his garden wagon to hook up to. So basicly, this guy had a trailer behind his motorbike. What ya'll think about that? Is it even street legal? What if it had lights and reflecters and such?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would not want to pull a very big trailer...not for lack of power, but they tend to push you around if they get too heavy. I would outfit it with brakes if I were to tow one.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I have never towed using a motorized bike but am wanting to build a trailer for myself soon. You definately need good working brakes because the weight adds to the slow down distance and time. I have never had a problem with the handling of my bikes because of the trailer. I liked a design that used a hitch that was mounted on the seat post, but want to try mounting on the back of a rack. I use a hyme joint for the articulation. You need to adjust turning just a little as well as you take up more road so need to make it very visible.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I have towed With my Bicycle...The most Valuable Load in the world...My two little boys,

on Marta's Vineyard and the boys and I had a blast.

The poor wife was tired from peddling and a bit scared But admits It was a Wonderful Vacation.

Please Note I' am a very SEASONED rider..Have been riding and racing Motorcycles Close to 30 years Now. Balance .stopping And rules of the road are essential.

Before even consider Placing a child in a trailer You better be sure You know what your doing and the chances you take.

As to a regualer Trailer Load it isn't all that Bad,
Biggest problem i noticed Was stopping power.

Hope this helps

Cheers:)

Bob

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I Actually Took My First Trailered Ride To Work This Morning I Dont Have Kids Yet But I Do Have A Dog And He Gets To Come To Work With Me Every Day . The Only Two Things I Noticed Is That You Had To Start Braking A Little Bit Earlier, And The Weird Looks Double When They See A Motorized Bicycle With A Weiner Dog Sitting In A Child Trailer. Bike Still Reached 35 On The Industrial Park ( No Traffic )

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
Last time I went camping I stopped along the way and bought a wheelchair at a yard sale. With the addition of two long sticks tied to my seat post it made an effective trailer to tow the kayak, canoe, or firewood (and quite comment-worthy judging by the reactions of my camp-ground neighbors) but the weight of the canoe and firewood created not only stopping issues but potential stability issues. When I get time to get creative I will fashioning a trailer hitch affixed to the chain stays also to distribute the force as low as possible. A load of logs pushing against my seat post is somewhat unnerving when trying to brake on a curve.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Actually the force on the seat post is a good thing as that is where I control side to side motion. I towed hundreds of pounds at times but slowly. I actually delivered a car route using a trailer that would handle 250 daily papers and half that of large Sunday papers. You can control very well and I could turn around in a very tight circle either direction. Stability is a function of design not where it attaches. I'll see if I can dig up any photos of my wife or I towing all 4 of our kids around the neighborhood. The only trailer picture I have is this well used one....

Notice the weight is carried low and the wheels are back past half of the deck. I found (from a design of an engineer friend) that wheels at the back end of the trailer were most stable. I may find those photos too as it was a unique design he had me build. It was designed to carry a massage table that folded in half so was long and skinny.

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

This design was inspired by my engineer friend's design. Mac had a valid interest in cycling as he and his family rode a lot and Jim his son was the first person to ride over 500 miles in 24 hours. Jim had no problem towing the trailer and table around San Diego where he lived. This is a smaller trailer than Jim's at least in height and length, it was probably wider.

Here is a design (Gladiator) I repeated many times and is similar to the one I used for my paper route except that one had a big plywood box so anything could just be thrown in and hauled. This design was very sturdy, and tracked good with no problems to me other than the stopping, starting and turning. Well in other words be careful and learn what you are doing and down shift (A plug for Sick Bike Parts shift kit). You need lower gears and better brakes to deal with a trailer. It helps if you are just a better driver to deal with trailers anyhow.

Last edited:

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
very cool...this is what i saw him pulling:

he had adapted something similar to this to connect the wagon to his bike

what does the law say about his?

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Why worry about that? Just tow and don't worry as long as you are being reasonable. The bicycle industry has sold millions of trailers and there are probably about 15 to 20 manufacturers of trailers. I do not ask permission to breathe and God gave me the right to do many things. He gave governments the right to do few things. Don't ask them to get involved in what they know nothing about.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I have seen some people pull empty trailers and they bounce a lot. Most bike trailers were designed to be towed at slower speeds. Motorized bikes can get up to and above 30mph. Just be careful.

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
Because I am crazy, I am building a 4 stroke cruiser with a Grubee G4 kit. Because I am even crazier, it is going to pull a trailer for my mobile bicycle repair business.
Trying to find a good, AFFORDABLE heavy duty trailer, is nuts!
I do not know if anyone else has seen this do it yourself kit, but I am buying it next month.> http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit_bicycle_trailer.php For $129 it is all the fittings, wheels, ect to build a trailer, just add 1' square tubing from a local supplier!

I will be building this kit into a trailer for my bike stand, repair table w/truing stand, tools, spoke threader, 10x10 canopy, everything I need to operate.
So no, my cruiser gets no mods for speed, it will get some breathing upgrades ie foam air cleaner element, drilled air box, drilled jet, and straight pipe to 3/4" muffler exhaust. It will run the 50 tooth stock sprocket to maintain torque...
I am currently figuring out electric brakes...
.crt.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I did one for a customer with the exhaust run to the rear of the trailer with conduit. Used rubber hose to connect the bike to the trailer exhaust. Worked great! Here's some pics.

The idea was to keep his daughter from being poisoned and covered in stinky exhaust residue. It made very little difference in power since it still had a modified stock pipe.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
As soon as I get off my butt and apply some finish, this is what I'll be rocking around the East Valley...

Mounted on this...

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice work, Jeckler. It'll look sharp when you've got the finish on and assembly done. My woodworking skills are somewhat limited (so far), I'd probably have gone with the vertical supports/braces just at the corners to match my skill level.