does anyone know what is the correct idle speed?

GoldenMotor.com

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I just got a ENM tach and it is reading 1500 rpm at idle. to me this seems a bit high. What is the right idle for these things? Is there anybody who knows the specks for a 66cc?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i almost agree with Nougat. my idle is set at "just a little bit higher than enough to keep it running."

sometimes if i come to a quick stop my idle will drop, probably from fuel sloshing around in the float bowl, and other times, if you misjudge your start, you'll kill the motor from dropping the clutch too fast. if the idle's a little higher, you can save it without stalling.

with a well tuned bike i can get the idle down so low you can barely tell it's running, but the rideability will suffer.

as long as it's not revving way up, or bogging too low, you're good.

as far as specs, i doubt there are any.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i've been pretty impressed of the idleing of the carbs with no pilot jets! one less jet to plug up, and the ones with the idle circut are the troublesome ones

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I have a two stroke skyhawk 66. I think I have a idea on what it showed feel like but I am looking for a number. like I said I have a tachometer and it's giving me a number 1500 or so, but I don't know if that's too high or too slow. Is there any published data on what the title should be for the small two cycle motors?

Mike

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I don't at all mean to sound like a smart as* but if it is idling to high it will annoy you and if it is idling to slow it will annoy you . If it idles perfect it won't annoy you .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't at all mean to sound like a smart as* but if it is idling to high it will annoy you and if it is idling to slow it will annoy you . If it idles perfect it won't annoy you .
There you go. There's no better answer to your question. Forget what the tach says. Rely on your ears and how the bike performs. If it stalls, increase the idle speed. If it doesn't, decrese the idle until it does then increase it until it doesn't...then go ride and forget about the instruments. (sort of like flying VFR)
Tom

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
There you go. There's no better answer to your question. Forget what the tach says. Rely on your ears and how the bike performs. If it stalls, increase the idle speed. If it doesn't, decrese the idle until it does then increase it until it doesn't...then go ride and forget about the instruments. (sort of like flying VFR)
Tom

Hence the idle "screw"....damned if you do....damned if you don't ......there's not a day that I'm not screwing with it .....no pun intended ....LOL...

Grins,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
i almost agree with Nougat. my idle is set at "just a little bit higher than enough to keep it running."

sometimes if i come to a quick stop my idle will drop, probably from fuel sloshing around in the float bowl, and other times, if you misjudge your start, you'll kill the motor from dropping the clutch too fast. if the idle's a little higher, you can save it without stalling.

with a well tuned bike i can get the idle down so low you can barely tell it's running, but the rideability will suffer.

as long as it's not revving way up, or bogging too low, you're good.

as far as specs, i doubt there are any.

To their own .......hehe....

Salty.shft.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Sorry, I can only tell you the specs for a 49cc HS and that is 2500 RPM +/-200 RPM. And the tach will work on 2 and 4-strokes alike. I'd guess for the 66cc 1500-2000 RPM should be fine. I always idle a little higher than lower and my engines don't stall on take off or sitting at a light.

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
I think i read somewhere that the skyhawk 66cc engine should idle at around 1400 rpm... but as stated before i think the sweet spot is easiest found by warming up the engine and then turn the screw counter clockwise until it almost dies then do quarter turn increments clockwise until it runs smoothly through out the entire power range...