Disabling coaster brake

GoldenMotor.com

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
I want to run linear pulls for the front and rear. Is there a way to remove the inner shoes so I can avoid any lockup problems ?? Will this work ?? TIA

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Well, I'm just trying to eliminate potential problems and I had read some people have experienced lockups , so ............ Is it " just remove the shoes or do I need to replace them with spacers ? Thanks for the reply

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The only times I have ever had the coaster brakes lock up, was when it was the only brake on the bike!
If you just add a good front brake to your bike & use that a little more than the coaster, you should be just fine!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I run a coaster brake (not the only brake) and it works fine. Repack it with high-temp grease and make sure it is repacked every so often (as you would have to with any bearings) and it will be fine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have coaster brakes on all my bikes and the only time ever had problems with them is when I try to lube them. I usually ruin them. I can do the bearing no sweat but if I fool around with the brakes its trashcan city for the wheel.

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have to say I really appreciate all the help that is offered in this forum. I lurked here for about 2 months writing down notes for my first build. I'll put up my pix soon so that you can see what YOU'VE done. Thanks again

alexmeboy

Sep 23, 2008
What I did when I was younger and I couldn't afford the "new" BMX bikes whith a real freewheel cassette was to remove the pads and replace it with a spring that would press the bendix part outward, A valve spring from a lawnmower engine worked great if I recall correctly.Grabbed quickly and would freewheel backwards easily.

Enjoy !

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I replaced my coaster brake wheel with a mountain bike wheel i already had and i put the cruiser tire on the mountainbike wheel.
I added a front caliper brake.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
i once had a coaster brake lock on me at the end of a race, the wheel started hopping and i ended up flipping over the bars and crackin my dome off the ground.other than that, coaster brakes been pretty good to me....