coaster brake probs....please help

GoldenMotor.com

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
So after having my bike down for over a wek waiting on bearings i got it backs together. i bought a proper cone wrench so i could tighten the lock nut (thats why the last bearings failed) anyway i have it all together and the brakes worked proper when upside down and pedaling by havd to test. when i cranked her up and tried to apply the brakes the pedal moved back then grapped and jerked forward. the coaster part functions fine but instead of braking it act like the clutch is grabbing when pedals are pushed back. I thing i have the brake shoes on proper but im not sure. its a real PITA to take off the tank flip it over and mess with disassembling the rear hub any ideas so i can do it once and be done? thanks guys

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
the guy in the forementioned vid was wrong. the pads wuld not even go in doin it the way he described. i put it together with tons of grease and they half assed work before garbbin and kicking the pedals forward. also cant get the bearing cone to stay tight. i am using a cone wrench and holding the cone whilst tightening the locknut and it still loosens up. I m waiting on one of jims sprocket adapters and imma just find a shimano wheel assem. Also waiting on a tube for my neighbors bike. his has given no probs cept for blowing old dry rot tubes

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
the guy in the forementioned vid was wrong. the pads wuld not even go in doin it the way he described. i put it together with tons of grease and they half assed work before garbbin and kicking the pedals forward. also cant get the bearing cone to stay tight. i am using a cone wrench and holding the cone whilst tightening the locknut and it still loosens up. I m waiting on one of jims sprocket adapters and imma just find a shimano wheel assem. Also waiting on a tube for my neighbors bike. his has given no probs cept for blowing old dry rot tubes
I had a Huffy Cranbook for my first bike and personally hated the whole coaster brake idea. I just thought it was a pain in the *** and decided to tear the bike down and mount it on a schwinn riverside. But that's just me. I feel safer with front and back pull brakes.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
when i used a coaster brake wheel the brakes worked fine, it was all the noise it made while riding, poping and clicking,loosening and tightening and all the parts and adjustments that are needed. Thats why i switched the wheel out for a regular freewheel mountainbike wheel and added side pull caliper brakes front and back.
Now no noise or adjustements needed.