Buying my first Kit today

GoldenMotor.com

Asurfer3345

Oct 21, 2009
Huntington Beach
Hey everyone, im 100% new to this and have never joined a forum until now. I live in Huntington Beach Ca,. My rod bearing in my Car is shot so i need another form of transportation for school and so on. I have always wanted one of these so if anyone has any pointers for me that would be great. Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Welcome to the forum! You picked a good 'un fer yer first w/o a doubt, it's one of the friendliest and most helpful of all I've tried ;)

I hope you forgive my laziness, I just posted this for another new to MBs - so I hope you don't mind if I just cut&paste it here to save some typing lol;

ThatsDax: bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor is one of the best for customer service I've ever heard of! I'd get my motor kit from him if I were you :) Spooky Tooth: Spooky Tooth Cycles and BikeBerry: Wholesale Beach Cruisers, Chopper, Mountain, Road, Tandem, BMX FreeStle and Bicycle Engine Kits - BikeBerry.com are favorites of mine, they've treated me very well.

Yeah - and a lil "heads up" that I wish I had known lol

The motor will most likely run like **** for the first 100-200 miles, other than gently torquing all fasteners and making sure you don't have any air leaks - don't worry about it, the rings haven't seated yet - it'll be a completely different engine once it's broken in.

Also - the "instructions" (such as they are lol) recommend 16:1 - 20:1 mix for your break in. This is excessive and is prolly because of the cheap 2stroke oil/motor oils they use in China - I'd recommend anywhere from 24:1 - 32:1 (depending on courage/engine response) with a quality (but nonsynthetic) 2stroke oil, then once it's broken in (may take up to 300mi) you can switch to a synthetic if ya want ;)

I suppose the biggest thing is get Jim's sprocket adapter: SPROCKET ADAPTER - that is by far the biggest problem w/these bikes. The second biggest is the tensoner, advice can be found here;
http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html
and last but by no means least, here's some dang good readin';
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/guide-bicycle-motor-preparation-care-354.html

While circumstance may have "forced" you to MBs - you'll find it's so much fun you'll be addicted in short order lol :D

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Welcome aboard...Barely Awake is right very friendly forum we have here...Dax is one of the few vendors who frequents this place wish I had bought my kit from him...my next one most likely will come from him. He's been in business over 20 years really knows and supports his stuff! 4 stroke is better but since you are in the same boat I am in I assume price is a factor. Another factor is if they ship to Ca. Here's the link bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor