Hellllp! I am Sooooo Close!

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
My first instinct would be to say it is installed incorrectly. Take it off and try it again...when you put the cable on the handle you should be able to twist it and see it function properly before you install the two screws in the handle. Make sure your spring on the carb side is installed properly also.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
did you drill the little hole in the handlebar for the throttle pin? if you did, sorry for pointing out the obvious, but i've read a few threads where someone didn't do it, they just crank it down till it breaks the plastic pin,and then the grip won't spin. you need that hole to keep the throttle-grip in place, and to keep the whole assembly from spinning, after the pin breaks off.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This may not be it, but a good tip anyway - make sure all your cables have only gentle bends. No tighter than what would make a loop 4 inches across or it will bind the cable inside.

oh and lube them - they're dry as a bone fresh from the kit ;)

Last edited:

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
also is your carb slide in the right way have you had the engine started and if so is it stuck wide open if so your slide is in the wrong way make sure that tha pin is in the croove on the slide

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i agree with sky liner sounds like the nub is not in the slot properly. Take the top off the carb and the air filter off the carb. check that the throttle turns when out of the carb first. then reassemble correctly line up the nub in the carb housing with the slot on the slide. once installed look thru the opening from the air cleaner and you should be able to watch the slide work in the carb. i would adjust the top of the carb all the way down then start at the throttle handle and adjust back to the carb until correct.

Good luck

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The slide could also be in up side down. More that one kit has been shipped this way.
One end of the slide is cut squarely, the other end is cut at a slight angle. the slight angled side goes down. If this is the problem, be sure to get the jet needle and retaining washer in correctly.
Some instructions do not show this correct either. It goes: first jet needle in little hole (all the way untill the needle clip bottoms out in the floor of the slide), then little washer with slot in it goes on top of the needle. then the spring.