Husky X Torque! One Bad Bullet!

GoldenMotor.com

nhra235

Apr 17, 2014
byron ga
I had a Ryobi 31cc weedbeater motor on my occ chopper. friction drive had driveshaft to support clutch(aint riding anything that wont sit and idle) had it geared as best as possible would climb any hill with very little pedaling. top end left a little to be disered. ran great except on down hill runs with engine redlined, when you let off gas was throwing driveshaft out of clutch. several designs and clutch housing was about cashed. happen across poulan 335 head unit at yard sale $3.00. loved the bearing on clutch and strong housing. messed with it and it went right in place. then the surprise this thing is a monster! 35cc will absolutely dust the Ryobi. took longer tuning it (tuning this thing is not for weak of heart!) then mounting it, but at cruising half throttle still faster and stronger then 31cc Ryobi. WOT is chilling, after first ride put a kill switch on it! Bring on any single speed bike from standing start to top end , I will show you a trick!! my tail light! I have a cooling issue, but have moved gas tank (it was directly under air intake) and replaced it with scoop to catch air. made sheet metal baffle for muffler and cut some slots in housing to utilize air flow(think in air turbulence at speed hot air off muffler was circulating in housing). think it will work, find out soon!

nhra235

Apr 17, 2014
byron ga
hey you go sorry had to edit to get them uploaded.. you can see were i modified cooling fins to get air flow. on my bmx peg roller i riveted a peice of truck mud flap. good traction of course , but with ryobi turning 7000rpm and my gear ratio max mph was maybe 15 and this would give me 1.2 more mph? BUT with a bad**s x torque spinning in excess of 12,000 rpm !!! max mph is as fast as you want on occ chopper! reworked brakes so it will sling you over handle bars if you like!! you can see were i used shaft off weedeater to make my drive shaft have two added roller bearings in there with a sleeve set screwed to shaft , the couplpe has reduction in size which hold drive shaft( axle from razor 125) in the cluch , which was down fall of ryobi. started out with roller mounted on clutch from looking at this site when i started , didnt take long to realize them guys bikes didnt run or not for long!! I could blow torch my pedals off and ride any were i want!! Thanks you guys at husky for your hard work.

Attachments

nhra235

Apr 17, 2014
byron ga
With carburetor facing forward the ram air really lights it up. rode it yesterday and afterwards had to take muffler off to trim heat shield. the inside of muffler was the perfect tan brown dry carbon like the old days wheb you had your car perfect tuned. never seem this on two cycle.

Attachments

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I agree with not riding anything that won't sit and idle. But will any weedeater clutch last a reasonable time when used as a motorbike clutch?

It would sure make the build/ride easier. But there must be a reason almost everyone does a friction drive that idles by being lifted/lowered off the tire.

Will a whacker clutch last thousands of miles?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats quite a bit of innovative fab work! Looks like you have a good bit of reduction to the roller. Do you know what it is? Looks like at least 3/1 You may be able to boost top speed a bit with a bigger roller which would be more efficient drive wise. If your roller speed is 4000rpm a 2.5" roller would give you 30mph. That engine would probably pull that.

nhra235

Apr 17, 2014
byron ga
yeahy the small sprocket is 11 tooth and big is 36? ofb razor scooter. i calculated 14 to 15 mph atb 8000 with old motor. just got speedometer and i have had going 25 mph on flat. in that configuration the only other sprockets i have seen are 55 and 60 something or 9 tooth. no help there!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I agree with not riding anything that won't sit and idle. But will any weedeater clutch last a reasonable time when used as a motorbike clutch?

It would sure make the build/ride easier. But there must be a reason almost everyone does a friction drive that idles by being lifted/lowered off the tire.

Will a whacker clutch last thousands of miles?
I agree I have a old KS bike machine motor from the 60's it has a quick lift lever and a clutch. It is bigger then a seedeater clutch,in fact it is the same size as a pocket bike clutch. It is awesome to pull up to a stop sign and be able to get going again without having to do anything..............Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
yeahy the small sprocket is 11 tooth and big is 36? ofb razor scooter. i calculated 14 to 15 mph atb 8000 with old motor. just got speedometer and i have had going 25 mph on flat. in that configuration the only other sprockets i have seen are 55 and 60 something or 9 tooth. no help there!
Just change the roller size. Actually 25mph is a pretty decent speed, but a slight increase in roller size may relax the engine a bit. Just a thought.

nhra235

Apr 17, 2014
byron ga
i dont know how acurate my speedo is. old cateye mity3 but didnt have sensor. so i used a reed switch off tahoe master cylinder. it sure seems like a real fast 25mph? The problem with weedeater clutch is lack of support if you put chain or fricton roller on it put a lot of side force on it which it is not intended to handle. thats reason i run drive shaft so i can have support for clutch and sporocket. i have been collecting sprockets i may go to chain drive if i find right set up. i can swap engine to other side two bolt and its done . chain drive wopuld smooth it out more. at top speed with friction theres a lot of real fast moving parts!