99cc Predator - Belt Drive - Homemade Non-Kit - My first build.

GoldenMotor.com

dsmith

Apr 30, 2011
Kentucky
I skimmed over those...looks like lots of options. I definitely saw HD steel wheels...didn't find one that would accept a rotor for the disc brakes, but like I said I was just skimming. I'll look harder when I have more time. I'm sure with all the options there surely I can find the exact fit for me. I appreciate your help. Yeah no big hurry on it. It'll be a bit before get started on my new build, however it shouldn't be too terribly long. I'll be starting a new thread as soon as I get my new bike ordered and I'll be sure to link it here so you and others can follow. Thanks again!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not as many guys use disk as there is drum. drum are more old board tracker look but back then they didn't have brakes. There is also V-brake that work realy well. Worksman wheels are a big faverate with most..............Curt

A lot of the biger builds are useing moped hubs and laceing there own spooks.

You can also mount the disk brake on the jackshaft witch maltiplys the power do to gearing,and also centers the engine better with jackshaft.

Last edited:

dsmith

Apr 30, 2011
Kentucky
Not as many guys use disk as there is drum. drum are more old board tracker look but back then they didn't have brakes. There is also V-brake that work realy well. Worksman wheels are a big faverate with most..............Curt

A lot of the biger builds are useing moped hubs and laceing there own spooks.

You can also mount the disk brake on the jackshaft witch maltiplys the power do to gearing,and also centers the engine better with jackshaft.
I considered the drum breaks myself for the look. I kinda like the way the drums look...old style like you said. I just didn't know how well they would hold up. Real good stopping power? How long before the shoes wear out? Can you replace the shoes or would you have to replace the whole wheel? All of those are the concerns I had for going with drums because of my lack of experience with them on bike wheels. Do you have any experience or thoughts on those items?

As for the jackshaft idea, that would probably work pretty well, and not a bad idea i must say. Having the engine centered better would be nice, but then there's more parts and more fabrication to be done. Probably just wait and see what stuff I end up having laying around when the time comes.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am not sure about the were of the drum brakes haven't had one long enough to tell,but all older motorcycles had them and mopeds. and I am sure you can replace the shoes.
Go through and read the past builds here and the board tracker you will learn a ton of stuff. what ever you do keep it simple its just a bike. And the laws are goverend if you get carried away and get nailed you will be disapointed. You want one you can ride and have fun...........Curt

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
@CurtisFox

Question for you or any others that have an opinion on the matter. I was just thinking, using steel rims on my next build would be the better idea from what we've previously discussed. However after thinking on it a little more the following concern arose. I was thinking of using heavier gauged spokes on my wheels both front and back for added strength and durability. I've seen custom wheels I can order that have 11g spokes and come with drum break hubs. These are aluminum I'm almost certain. Can you get custom steel wheels? Also, what about custom wheels with larger spokes that are disc break ready? I really want HD wheels and would love to utilize disc breaks. Any recommendations on that? Thanks!
a whizzer ambassador (2008) has the wheel you need

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I considered the drum breaks myself for the look. I kinda like the way the drums look...old style like you said. I just didn't know how well they would hold up. Real good stopping power? How long before the shoes wear out? Can you replace the shoes or would you have to replace the whole wheel? All of those are the concerns I had for going with drums because of my lack of experience with them on bike wheels. Do you have any experience or thoughts on those items?

As for the jackshaft idea, that would probably work pretty well, and not a bad idea i must say. Having the engine centered better would be nice, but then there's more parts and more fabrication to be done. Probably just wait and see what stuff I end up having laying around when the time comes.
The shoes on drum brakes will outlast any other type of brake pads by years, whether they be rim brakes or discs. Let me put it this way. I have a friend who has whizzer bikes from the 1940's, some with the original drums on them. Drums have ok stopping power, not quite as good as disc, but if you have a rear coaster brake you should do just fine. I run a coaster and front drum, and I only use both if I need to stop quickly. I do not think I will ever use anything besides a drum up front.

dsmith

Apr 30, 2011
Kentucky
did you have to bend the frame to get the second rim in. and where would I find a front pully?
On my particular frame, no modifications had to be made for clearance on the second rim/pulley in the rear. It was tight but it did clear as it was. On some frames, there's a very good chance that it would be too narrow and it would have to be modified, either by bending it or cutting it and adding more tubing to go around the the second rim. As far as a front pulley, well anywhere that sells those types of small engine parts, local hardware store, lawn mower shops, TSC, local auto parts, etc.