48CC New Gone bad?

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
HI, This is new. Did this on first run. Changed everything removable cdi, carbureter, plug etc., fuel supply OK, no air leaks. It has no power. Runs so,so. Is it fried? Two pins in the clutch were scraping the cover also. I removed the clutch and shortened them. Starts OK just no power.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How much is no power? Top speed with a GPS? The do take awhile to break in, the first several miles are a little on the rough and low power side on a lot of them.

Where is the needle clip? What does the plug look like?

i-paint

May 24, 2008
The clip is in the middle. It just doesn't seem to have any torque. It wil run 25mph but struggles to get there. Low end torque isn't there. Think it will get a lot better?
Larry

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
The clip is in the middle. It just doesn't seem to have any torque. It wil run 25mph but struggles to get there. Low end torque isn't there. Think it will get a lot better?
Larry
Its a new motor - it will run in.

Back in the day (1985) to be exact my father took delivery of a 2.2i Vauxhall Carlton. A guy at his work got one a little while later - same engine and the cars were kept for 2 years a piece. At the end of the two years the one my father had had done twice the milage and was getting almost 1/3rd again to the mile on fuel.

This happened to be mentioned to a rep of the company that supplied the cars, and it got back to the dealer. They asked for the two cars back and vauxhall took the motors apart. My fathers on about 75k miles had almost no wear - so much so that even the vauxhall people were surprised (and my father is not a careful or slow driver) - the other one at half that distance had the wear that they'd expected on the 75k miler..

The difference... my father had run the car in carefully for the first 2000 miles - not exceeding 50mph or so for the first 500 miles and then gradually increasing to full performance (how ever much me and my brother exhorted him to rag the guts out of it).

The engine in that car was for its day a high performance high end engine and treating it nicely made a helluva lot of difference (even the engineering manager said that car was the best condition engine he had seen on that milage by far).

A low compression engine is even more sensitive than a high end motor to running in - the only ones that are more sensitive still are the ridiculously tuned motors such as formula one. its no accident that the drivers with the heavy right boot are usually the ones stopping halfway through in a cloud of white smoke.

as you engine runs in performance will improve - added to that you can fit pipes and faster sprokets to gain speed - but if you dont run an engine in you will never get its full potential.

Jemma xx

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
A new engine will run pretty weak at first as they break in they will improve
my Dax was the worst it had no power at first but now it runs great. try the needle circlip in the #2 notch down from the top it might run a little better there.