Gas Leak Evading Me

GoldenMotor.com

JDUBWEB

Jun 25, 2008
Chico, CA
Hi Guys,

I have a gas leak that I can't seem to fix. I will wipe the areas clean, sit and stare and eventually see accumulation, but cannot find out where this is coming from. I have taken off and replaced most components. I strongly believe that it is NOT coming from the fuel line connections as that area has no residue and I had spent most of my time thinking that is where it was coming from. Any suggestions or ideas of what to take apart and replace next would be appreciated. The attached pic will show where the accumulation is. Could it be coming from the air intake?

Attachments

JDUBWEB

Jun 25, 2008
Chico, CA
I have not checked that---- "how is the gasket inside the bowl? and is the bowl tight?"--- is there a thread on this or some direction as to what I need to take apart? I am not familiar with this aspect of the motor yet. If there is a diagram or direction as to what I need to do I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
the 'bowl' is the bottom of the carb, where your red arrows start. two screws. undo them, pull bowl off and dump the gas on the ground. THATS right, EPA...dump it on the ground (or back into your gas can, haha). check the gasket. try a thin layer of fuel resistant gasket sealer and put it back on.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
fuel can leak out of the fuel line under the brass fitting where there is a red gasket if the brass inlet line is not tight it will seep fuel. the carb also has a little bit of blow back due to the nature of it being a 2 stroke and the carbs air inlet filter will get fuel wet after sitting the fuel will work its way down the the bottom of the carbs float bowl the fuel evaporates leaving behind the oil and it will build up into a drip of oil no big deal but can make the engine nasty. When I clean the air breather I don't oil it cause it will get plenty oil very soon. carb cleaner or brake clean will clear that little bit of poo off very quickly. carb cleaner will eat some bikes paint so test it first so you don't mess up your bikes paint job.

JDUBWEB

Jun 25, 2008
Chico, CA
Thanks, Norman. I followed your instructions for the carb tear down and rebuild and it seems the float was getting too high. Once I adjusted that it seems to work fine 75% of the time - zero leak. Then once every 4 rides, I get a bit of leak, maybe a few teaspoons on the top of the engine, I wipe off and nothing else leaks out until a couple rides later. I wonder if that float maybe jostled every now and then as I hit a bump and allow some extra fuel to leak and then settle back down in. Not sure, but it has been fairly decent the last couple days, at least it is not continuously leaking.....