anyone having problems with jackshaft front bearing?

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
First let me say that I love my SBP"s jackshaft.I'm not Knocking or bashing them or there jackshaft! Jim has been great with anything I've needed.My question is anyone having problems with their front freewheel bearing. my first one lasted about 20miles and Jim sent me a replacement and this one lasted about 5 miles? I guess i should have ordered the heavy duty kit. Whats the verdict on the heavy duty bearing? I want to make sure it going to hold up. Cause my jackshaft is "dead in the water" without a front bearing. Again, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from the jackshafts. I personally love mine and will never go back to a single speed bike. I just think maybe everyone should maybe just go ahead and buy the heavy duty kit. Thanks.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I use the heavy duty bearing and a friend of mine does also. We've had no problems so far. Just wondering if maybe you have the chain from the pedal sprocket to the shift kit too tight.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The heavy duty freewheel will solve your problem. Some people need it, some don't. I guess it depends on how easy your motor starts and how hard you kick it over.

My guess is that SBP sell the White Industries freewheel at pretty near cost. They are a really good value. Every other time I have seen a White Freewheel for sale it is $100 or more.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Another thought is to check your secondary drive chain's alignment to the freewheel sprocket, even a slight offset between your motor's mounting and the crank could be putting undue stresses on that bearing...

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have been using mine with the regular freewheel. I did'nt have any issues except that there's a very slight wobble. Anyways, I used to experience the bottom bracket getting loose. Use a good thread locker on the bottom brackets. Also make sure the drive chain from the jackshaft is not too tight. Only issue I had is that angled aluminum bar broke in half. I just replaced it with a steel one. So far no issues with the front freewheel. :D besides I have a spare... :)

You are using that aluminum angled bar? It's an optional installation, but highly recommended. It helps stablizes the engine and keep it in alignment when torque is applied.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

What angled aluminum bar? The only two bits I can think of are the standoff for the engine to motormount plate (that's a box anyway) and the lil aluminum L bracket;

Is that it? Mebbe just befuddlement on my part lol

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
o_O

What angled aluminum bar? The only two bits I can think of are the standoff for the engine to motormount plate (that's a box anyway) and the lil aluminum L bracket;

Is that it? Mebbe just befuddlement on my part lol
That's the one... the aluminum L bracket... mine broke off at the joint, which caused a lot of slack on the chain, but was still able to make temporary repairs and was able to arrive home safely. I replaced it with a steel angled bar that I cut off myself, which I don't think will be an issue.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
oic - a mere difference in word choice lol

good tip - I don't think it's "optional" anymore judging from the pdf instructions, but steel may be even better FTW ;)