Earth Crusher #0000001

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You could just use a freewheel motor output sprocket if you can find one strong enough, that's what I use on my 50V 1860W shifting e-bikes, or in this case an e-Beast.

Nowhere near the power you are talking but it has gears so it might run with you.

I was thinking an easy mechanical disengage of the motor from the drive train.
That would be pretty easy to do with a belt but a chain presents a different problem and a cent clutch seems like a poor solution.
How often do you plan to be pedaling it anyway?

Speaking of braking by motor drag, have you considered a regenerative braking system?
That big electric motor is a heck of a generator, have it charge your batteries.

If you think that motor has drag doing nothing, it would probably lock your back wheel even hurtling downhill even with all that weight on the back wheel if you tried to charge with too much current, but one thing is for sure, it would make for a good brake if you could control it ;-}
It has fully adjustable Break Regen, Automatic Slope Hold and Cruise Control built into the controller.

Mechanical disengage would have to be simple and I'm guessing heavy duty for this motor. I thought about it for a second.

The magnetic drag is nowhere near strong enough to prevent my or any other wheel from spinning. On this BLDC motor there is one moving part and it doesn't make physical contact with anything while it rotates so there is nothing to lock up.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Mike,

How goes it with the Earthcrusher, now I guess Earthhugger, wth the all electric poweplant?

Gilbert
Earthcrusher is still in 1 piece but is taking a bit of a nap at the moment. The Turnigy Li-Po's I chose are simply too dangerous to be grouping multiple packs together to power an electric bike long distances without a sophisticated on-board BMS. I was using no BMS whatsoever. LMAO

Li-Po cells also discharge wildly unevenly just sitting still with the power OFF. I never seen that with any other Lithium battery before.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
So whats the next step? This thing is practically screaming for a side car! ;)
I wish I had the skills and tools you had available, A frame like that would match what Im trying to make to the T!

Arent LifePo4 supposed to be safer, if not pricey?

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Love it. Do i see room for 2 engines on there? I have a twin engine build rolling around in my head so i am trying to follow the ones on here.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
So whats the next step? This thing is practically screaming for a side car! ;)
I wish I had the skills and tools you had available, A frame like that would match what Im trying to make to the T!

Arent LifePo4 supposed to be safer, if not pricey?
Your are correct. I learned my lesson on that. Just use LifePo4.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Mike,

How goes it with the Earthcrusher, now I guess Earthhugger, wth the all electric poweplant?

Gilbert
Do you really want to know? LOL

I forgot to add a resistor to the throttle and so the motor stuck at about 3500RPM while I thumbed through the tabs on the controller software on my laptop until I got to a Tab called "Test". When I clicked that tab the motor came to a complete immediate stop and what sounded like the Hall Sensors inside the motor gave way and I had some smoke and grinding noise coming from inside the motor. No more $700 motor after that. I actually destroyed a brand new motor with the click of a mouse. It's a black hole in the controller software....... and I fell into it...... head first. LMAO

Do you really want to know? LOL

I forgot to add a resistor to the throttle and so the motor stuck at about 3500RPM while I thumbed through the tabs on the controller software on my laptop until I got to a Tab called "Test". When I clicked that tab the motor came to a complete immediate stop and what sounded like the Hall Sensors inside the motor gave way and I had some smoke and grinding noise coming from inside the motor. No more $700 motor after that. I actually destroyed a brand new motor with the click of a mouse. It's a black hole in the controller software....... and I fell into it...... head first. LMAO
That's pretty scary, ruining a brand new motor! I'm really leaning towards an electric build, but I have a 4-stroke build to do first. The motor I was looking at was 5k, what made you select such a beast of a motor?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's pretty scary, ruining a brand new motor! I'm really leaning towards an electric build, but I have a 4-stroke build to do first. The motor I was looking at was 5k, what made you select such a beast of a motor?
There's absolutely no instructions or user manual of any kind. The controller comes preset but it fully adjustable. The controller software is flawed to allow the destruction of the motor be it accidental or not.

The bigger the motor, the less the heat, the longer the life of the motor. Plus the Chinese grossly exaggerate the specs their motors.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
so, even though you buy such a powerful motor, it doesn't have to be maxed out, right? The brand I've been looking at is the Motenergy, they claim it's lighter, but a direct replacement for the Etek motors, now extinct (from what I've read).
Exactly. My motor weighed 22 lbs. There was nothing "big" about it but it's always better to go large then to go small. The heat will be better dissipated through the copper windings than with a smaller motor.

My problem had nothing to do with my motor. My problem was with controller and it's assumption that you an expert at the controller's programming software without any explanations given. LMAO