EZ Matic Alignment Issue...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Just put the HS on a Jag with the HD Freewheel/Band Brake from Bicycle-engines.com. I also have the EZ Matic on there. Have moved the EZ Matic up against the seat post...but the rear sprocket is 1/4-1/2" further in against the rear hub. Anyone have any suggestions on getting these in line with each other without cutting the support for the EZ Matic? The rear sprocket is facing dish in. We're thinking about taking it off and flipping it where the dish is facing out...but even that may not be enough clearance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know the pix are a little dark...but we're going to have better ones taken when we've got it completely built.

Attachments

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That HD wheel is something I haven't tried yet. What is length of the output shaft on the ezmatic?
It's 1.75". The problem is it has a bearing on the outer edge...so there's no way to cut it off and still be functional since the bearing would still be there.

I believe my roommate and I installed it backwards. With no directions and lousy drawings over on Grubee's site (where they direct you for directions)...did the best we could with the limited directions. If I had a video camera...would be worth taping for others not to do my goof ups.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I recommend taking off the rear drive sprocket and flipping it around so that the dish is inward (not outward). This will allow the teeth to be further away from the spokes and hopefully fix your issue. If you are still having problems after your attempt(s), I say get a hub-adapter and call it good. It will be 100% concentric and it will give you the lateral adjustment that might be needed.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I recommend taking off the rear drive sprocket and flipping it around so that the dish is inward (not outward). This will allow the teeth to be further away from the spokes and hopefully fix your issue. If you are still having problems after your attempt(s), I say get a hub-adapter and call it good. It will be 100% concentric and it will give you the lateral adjustment that might be needed.
He's got the Grubee rear axle, they already figured out they have the dish backwards lol

Flipping the sprocket should put them back on track.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
He's got the Grubee rear axle, they already figured out they have the dish backwards lol

Flipping the sprocket should put them back on track.
Oh yeah! I only wished Birddog would put directions or send you a link with clear directions on everything they sell.

Will be popping the drive side off and flipping it over tomorrow. If I'm correct...when we put it back on right...it will be fully aligned. Hopefully by Friday...should be able to take it out for the 1st ride this year.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My buddy and I flipped around the hub and the sprocket. The chain alignment is so straight we almost couldn't believe it. The chain has never been that straight in the years I've been building and riding.

Note: If you're considering going with the Grubee HD freewheel...make sure you put the nuts toward the spokes. This was the only thing which messed us up.

We did have the hub assembly come off the sprocket connector...but we rounded up all the bearings and put them all back into the races with an ample amount of grease.

Another issue was the spring loaded tensioner with a sprocket. No matter where we put it...made the chain too tight. My buddy is a DIY thinker and he's going to spend the weekend figuring out a way to get the tensioner put on to guide the chain.

As soon as we trim some brake lines and make sure everything is out of the way and tight...we'll put a little gas in my new 1 gallon rear mounted tank and see if she kicks over without any issues. That may be Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Forgot to post that we got it running. We figured out how to get the spring loaded tensioner installed and the chain stayed in alignment. Had no problem with the chain jumping off or the tension on the chain. May even pull the spring out a bit more or get another chain if we need to loosen the tension.

We did end up with a problem of junk in the carb. Since I've been working and it's been raining everyday this week...am hoping to get the carb sprayed down with carb cleaner tomorrow. Will be filling the tank up with fresh gas and putting in a little bit of Lucas Carb Cleaner.

According to a mechanic friend of mine...if I spray the cleaner into the intake and use the Lucas...should clear out whatever junk is in the carb. Plus...the linkages should be more free than they have been in the three years this engine has been around. Will let you know how it goes...as well as getting some more pix of the completed build.