vintage stacked headlights, sort of

GoldenMotor.com

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
I've come to realize that drivers just don't see the smaller bullet headlights, so I found this 70's headlamp on ebay with the intention of doing a stack headlight kind of theme borrowed from the mid 60's Plymouth Fury. Why, I have no idea, just felt like it lol

I replaced the original bulb that was pulling almost nine amps with a 4 watt led & tucked the battery pack in my fork bag, had to punch a small hole in the side for the on/off switch.

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice job...I like the large light.Bet you could leave your bike sitting just like that all day and nobody would touch it...lol...nice puppy!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Derekian,
Nice job. That looks very good, along with the rest of your bike.

Mine aren't stacked, really, but I did a multiple light thing too. The big one is a 55watt, 12volt, the two small ones are 6volt, Maglight lamps in the housings that Norm used to offer. This combo lights up the road. I carry the two SLA batteries in a nylon holder attached to the seat.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Thanks for the nice feedback guys. The led lights work ok, but don't light up the road too well. This headlight was never on a bike, so I was careful to leave the original wiring & socket in tact and just tie it off to the side when routing the led. I have the original bulb & plan on replacing it with a new one, should I get an HID bulb?
Tom I really like the look of that front end, it's just right. BTW how heavy are your SLA batteries?
Motomagz, it's funny you said something about that, somebody actually stole an old, crusty bbq grill out of my driveway last month lol
Chainmaker-can't wait to see your 50 Panther. Now that I have my bike done I'm looking back at the core things that I skipped like the fat hubs, disc brakes, heavy spokes, etc....might be hitting you up for some advice, your wheels look sweet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Together the two weigh just a little shy of four pounds. I can get a good hour of night riding on the 12 volt system; more than I usually ride after sundown, and charge them with a small battery maintainer when I'm not riding.

Just took some more looks at your bike. I really like your attention to detail. What is the tank from? I used one from an 80cc Yamaha. At first I thought it was going to be too big but after paint, it seemed to fit. Like yours, it has a vintage/cafe racer look.

Again. You've built a sweet machine. Thanks for sharing with us.
Tom

Attachments

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
That is really neat Tom, thank you for the close up photo and the weight info.

Your bike is just great to look at man, wow. I love the brown/cream and vintage seat. Everything works really well together, don't ya just love that!

My tank is an Indian mx tank as well, late 70's.
Thanks for sharing as well!

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Derekian,
Nice job. That looks very good, along with the rest of your bike.

Mine aren't stacked, really, but I did a multiple light thing too. The big one is a 55watt, 12volt, the two small ones are 6volt, Maglight lamps in the housings that Norm used to offer. This combo lights up the road. I carry the two SLA batteries in a nylon holder attached to the seat.
Tom
that looks fantastic