Ryobi 31cc clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I have 2 ryobi 31cc engines that I want to take apart and get the best parts from both of them. The problem is that I can get the square shaft clutch drum off. I did everything that deacon said to do, took off the spark plug and filled cylinder with rope. That worked but I just cant get the screw out, I took a slot screwdriver and put some vise grips on it; once I had the screwdriver lined up I twisted with all my might. Nothing:confused:

The one on my first engin ecame off just fine, I'm not sure what the problem is?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay bad news time. You can try some thin oil down the shaft let it sit for a day and try again. (first choice)

2nd choice cut the bell off enough to get a bigger screwdriver in it. If you have one off you can tell about were to saw it to get to the screw head better.

I would be a little concerned about trying to heat it, but I guess you could try if you have paramedics on standbye.

Thats what I would do somebody else will have a different answer I'm sure. I also like the old sledge hammer approach on the vise grip on the screw driver handle. Not to mention my all time favorite for auto bolts that were struck.... the old hydrollic jack trick.

I also have a screwdriver end for my ratchet wrench. Lots of torgue that way when you add a three foot length of pipe.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
That screw is it a left hand thread? One option is a hand impact driver that will loosen the stuck screw. On one of my posts I show the hand impact driver being used on the screw on the engine's gear drive.
A little heat might be needed if that screw was put on with a thread locking compound.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
Well the deed is done, I drilled out the screw with a 1/8" drill bit. No more problems now, as long as i dont want it to be a weed eater again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
LOL good work. I love it when someone sees the end game. Who gives a rats behind as long as you accomplish the end you want.