My chopper

GoldenMotor.com

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
It's a Chinese I'm pretty sure. The head is a high compression billet ally number. The whole lot is by Rocksolid. They machine and assemble the motors to be awesome. I can't say good enough things about their gear. My current motor is still going well after 40,000km.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Thought I'd give an update in case folks are bored....
Have made up steel offset motor mounts and motor is on nice and firm.
Also made up a template, then all the gear to mount the rear sprocket to the 68 spoke wheel. Runs nice and true. Very happy to say all driveline lines up very well.
Pics to follow

Attachments

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Moving on. Fitted the throttle, and hid the electrics from it down the inside of the handlebars to keep it neat.
Lengthened the chain, fit that and the tensioner and lined it all up.
Mock fitted the tank. Need to make final decision on what tank I'll use. I think the stock one will do for now. Need to keep costs down.
It's coming together nicely I reckon.

Attachments

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Yeah, I just took my time with it. Bit of blu tac, and bendy wire tools were invented.
Really happy it worked out. Cheers.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
So now it's all ready to fire up, except for a couple of small details:
First is the exhaust. Needed to be extended to clear the sweep of the pedals. Having trouble finding anyone as enthused about it as I am, meaning I'll have to bend the extension bit myself, then get it welded together.
Chain (tension) is behaving as if the rear sprocket is not concentric with the axle. Variable tension as the wheel turns. I'm not sure on that one yet. That sprocket is so dialed in I'm sure. It still looks that way too.....
Other stuff like wiring is installed just enough to see how it all goes once it's running.
I'll neaten it all up prior to the big paint job.

Scary G

Aug 15, 2012
B.C. Canada
So now it's all ready to fire up, except for a couple of small details:
First is the exhaust. Needed to be extended to clear the sweep of the pedals. Having trouble finding anyone as enthused about it as I am, meaning I'll have to bend the extension bit myself, then get it welded together.
Chain (tension) is behaving as if the rear sprocket is not concentric with the axle. Variable tension as the wheel turns. I'm not sure on that one yet. That sprocket is so dialed in I'm sure. It still looks that way too.....
Other stuff like wiring is installed just enough to see how it all goes once it's running.
I'll neaten it all up prior to the big paint job.
If the chain has varying tension and the sprocket isn't off center the chain must have stretched spots in it or the sprocket at the other end if off center. Cool build, looks good, should be fun to ride.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Cheers, it's all brand new, so maybe I should check the sprocket again in a jig to completely rule it out. Failing that I might run it a bit to see if it just needs to bed in.
Can't wait to get it rolling. It is really nice to ride without the motor.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Got the exhaust welded up today. Didn't have to bend anything myself. The solution was right in front if me, in the form of an old set of handle bars. Perfect size, chromed, and with a couple of bends to choose from.
Bit of cutting and filing, and got it done!
It won't win in a show'n shine but should clean up nicely and suits the budget.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Well it's up and running now and I've been running it in for about 300 km only at his stage. All is going well except for the small issue of engine vibrations.
Ive tried mounting the motor a few ways now , by bracing my mounts, using straight-on to the frame, lead sheeting as shims, and a couple if other little tries.
Once it gets to 31km/h it starts to shake the bike too much.
I've read loads of forums in here about this so here's my plan of attack:
First up: yes I'm going to try rubber spacers like my old bike. Got 40,000 km out of that with no vibes so I'll at least give it a go.
Next: I've got a tachometer coming in the mail. I want to see what revs it's doing when it starts vibrating. Maybe shop for a smaller rear sprocket.
Last, (and I really don't want to): "balance" crank weights.
Once this is sorted it's all about the big paint job. Can't wait.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Rubber in the mounts=broken studs, stripped cases and lots of other issues.
DON'T DO IT!
Solid mounting is the ONLY way to go with a chinagirl.
For every builder who says rubber works good, there are 500 who just break more stuff.
Get it bolted SOLIDLY to the frame and learn to live with the vibes caused by poorly balanced cranks. Revving past 6-7k will make ANY stock motor shake.
Or buy a balanced Gen V or Dax motor like I did!
MUCH less vibration and noise is one of the benefits, along with better power and durability.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Yeah, cheers mate. Just took it around the block and although the vibes are slightly dulled they're still there so I'm going back to the solid mount for sure.
I'm building it for longevity so want to make it right.
Gearing next I guess.
Cheers for the reply.