big engine on schwin stingray

GoldenMotor.com

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
Hi everyone, built me a motorized 2 stroke YEARS ago, loved it....

pretty much still what it looks like today:

It was fun but limited to about 28, 30 mph its kinda frustraiting (realy just needs a jackshaft but still)

So the bug bit to build something a little bit faster.

Did some random craislist shopping one evening and found a local stingray for 55 bucks.

Edit- im trying to post more replies but they are showing up!

Last edited:

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
keep in mind when im posting updates, its going to be all mockup untill its complete them im tearing it all down, painting everything up then re-asymble.

Its going to be flat black, either paint or powder coated, not sure yet.

First night:

all cut up:

Got some steel, and went to work.

sorry for the horrible pics, idk what the heck i was doing

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
Rolling chassis

I found an engine out of an 82 Honda rebel (well, the precurser to the rebel, same engine tho) Its a twin cylinder 250cc engine, with 5 speed gearbox.
Think it makes somewhere around 19 hp? dunno how much torque, ill have to look it up.

Setting the engine on the frame:

Last edited:

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
Even the motor looks kinda small on it.

got a nice bobber look to it.

Adding a box to house all electrical components and starting mock up wiring. Just decided to redo the hole harness

So far thats about one full day of work. Building the wiring from scratch took a little work but i got it figured out and fired the engine up. Ill get some more pics soon and hopefully get more work done tomorrow or friday. THink my sprockets and chain are supposed to arrive tomorrow :D

ill try to get better pics next time.
As of this point I have about 1 day worth of build time if that... there is a little more done than what is pictured but i didnt take any pics.

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
Next up Is building a battery box, add the frame link to connect the seat area to the bottom frame rails. Start building frame gussets, and fab up an adapter to mount the motorcycle sprocket to the bicycle hub (which I'm not looking forward to, but know how I'm going to do it)

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
yeah holy crap. 19hp on a bicycle???? i would lookinto motorcycle wheels too.. that much power will ruin bicycle wheels

what kinda brakes you gonna use? i dont think its a bicycle anymore lol

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
haha yeah im going to try the wheels and see but you're right, they may not hold up..

As for the bicycle part, i REALLY wanted to keep pedals on there for some reason but I dont know... I may make them bolt on so i can slap them on when i want.. havent decided yet.

As for brakes im hoping i can run some disc brake setups. Ive been looking around to see what aftermarket setups are avaliable but i suppose it really depends on what final wheels i use.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think that engine is going to break that frame right in half the first time you twist the throttle. I could be wrong, but right now I'm picturing a hot engine amidst a twisted pile of metal.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am sure that at 19HP, that engine has got a lot more torque than most of the engines we like to use. Gotta realize, the 212cc Predator is breaking frames at 7HP. I think he better have used the strongest tubing he could find, or he is going to find himself going from sitting upright to laying on the ground very fast.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
its all in engineering. if you have a welder you can correct any weaknesses in your frames. if you have software you can find the stress points. If it does break you should post some pictures showing where it broke.

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
sorry guys no time for updates lately or tomorrow but i will get some this week. Took it for its first test drive saturday....

well, back up to a little earlier.. I was in the garage, JUST put a clutch cable on it... was standing next to the bike, got the clutch cable all hooked up and it seemed to be operating like it should. Fired the bike up and pulled in the clutch.... I was going to push on the shifter a little bit and see if it would grind or go into gear... well i reached down, went to push on it.. the damn thing went RIGHT into gear and the bike shot off across the garage and tipped up and was still running LOL.... Uppon further inspection the engine had set for so long the clutch pack had siezed up and sitting on the bike and giving it a good "rock" was enough to jar it loose and it worked like a champ...

So fired it up, took it down the street, Never gave it any more than an 1/8 throttle... Its a little wild, the whole bike with engine and everything can still somewhat easilly (its heavy but im not a huge guy) be picked up. so you gotta hang on to the handlebars or it will buck you off LOL, so with letting off the throttle, the engine braking will throw you off the front too since it had such an effect on that lightweight bike.

from behind it looks a little odd, yes it had a wide tire (for a bike) but hearing that 2 cylinder motorcycle engine and seeing a fullsize adult it looks a little small.. Coming toward you tho, with the front forks showing, it looks SWEET.

So i brought it back, slapped on the stock brakes for now for more test drives.

The sprocket didnt work out so well tho.. I got the motorcycle sprocket adapted to the stingray wheel, but its not 100% centered on it so my chain goes TIGHT loose TIGHT loose....

Its not horrible but bugs me, and will more than likely cause excessive wear and vibration. Im going to probably try a nylon chain guide on the bottom and then run the chain a little loose and see how it does.. but for that reason alone i will probably try a motorcycle wheel..

I will definatly drop the clutch and give this thing **** right before i do to see just how much that little bike wheel will take out of curiosity.

Thats about it. Its DRIVABLE, but has a TON of work left, but honestly i have only about a day and a half total in it which im kinda impressed with.

As for the frame, im using plenty thick of steel for it, design wise is your usual motorcycle type frame, nothing out of the ordinary there, threw in a vertical brace between seat and lower frame since the last pics. Uppon tear down i will be gusseting every joint.

Pic comming wednesday more than likely.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Sounds like you've got the frame design figured out then. Thick walled tubing and gussets are the way to go. If you took it down the street already and it didn't pancake right in half, then the bike will only get stronger with the rest of what you're planning to do. I've got to be honest, if I were you I would gear this thing as low as possible in the back. With 19 ponies, you're not going to need high gearing to cruise efficiently and effortlessly. Just my $0.02. Keep up the good work and put some pics up soon ;)

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
I agree with you on that one big..

well, took the bike out today and decided to dump the clutch and hammer it over and over again to see if I could destroy the rear wheel or anything else for that matter...

Held up for about 5 or 6 launches and on the last one, the tires spun then the adjuster eyelet opened up (I have a loop with threaded end comming off it going around the rear hub bolt to keep tension on the rear wheel..The eyelet wast a loop and not connected, after the vid i got a new one and WELDED the eyelet shut...something i should have done the first time.)

Wheel is still holding up. Going to do some more beating on it.

This is the last couple take off's before it went.. THe launches were close to wide open, when i was going through gears it was probably about 1/4 throttle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcSLUu_Qd50

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Watching the video, you can actually hear the wheel come loose at the very end. Since your wheels are not coaster brakes, I actually don't see any reason they won't hold up fine. Especially the front wheel, since there is no load on it other than the weight of the bike and the braking force if you've got a front brake. You do realize though, that what you've got there is a full-out motorcycle. The only thing that makes that thing a bicycles is functional pedals if its got any. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but if you're not planning on getting that thing registered (which I personally strongly recommend but wont judge you if you choose not to), then I'd be extremely careful where and how I drove that thing. On a side note referring to registration, I'm driving what would be considered a motorcycle in my state as well, though the only thing that does classify it as a motorcycle is displacement (98cc is twice the legal limit for mopeds). Even as a moped I am still technically required to register it. But the cops around here are thus far unaware of the actual laws, and as long as no one is going around doing anything dumb, it will stay that way. But if the cops knew the size of my engine, they'd bust me for sure. I'm always careful whenever a cop is around. But I ramble. Keep up the good work, keep an eye on wheel tension and spokes, make sure you've got good brakes and just be careful.

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
That was one reason i was wanting to keep the pedals then reality hit me and I realized that would be absolutely pointless with that size of engine.. I Fully intend on getting it registered and insured if it turns out to be a functional build. I imagine you would insure it as a 2013 and have them stamp a vin in the frame? Ill figure that road out when i get there.

Next step is to build some chain guide as you can even hear the chain hitting in the spots in the vid.

Better brakes are a must. I utilized the rear ones for now so i can test the bike but they are definatly overwhelmed with the added weight. I will shop around for disc brake conversions if not i may have to build my own.