Fed up

GoldenMotor.com

edgecrusher72

Sep 30, 2011
PA
Fed up need some help

Hi i'm new to motorized bicycling. I don't have much money so I tried to go the cheap way and have had lots of problems. I bought a skyhawk 80 and put it on a mongoose mtn bike from k-mart. Had a very hard time finding an affordable mtn bike with enough frame clearance. The Engine was difficult to mount cause the bike has a large oval front frame tube. Have had to modify almost every piece that went on the bike. Got it all together and the chain doesn't even come close to lining up. Got it close as I could and every 10 feet the chain pops and gets lodged between the sprocket and spokes and bent the spokes and broke the chain twice. It seems like the sprocket needs to be touching the spokes to even get it close. I have had this thing for months and haven't even gotten it started yet. I'm ready to trash the whole thing.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hi and sorry that you have had problems with the mounting of your motor. It's totally true the choice of bike has a lot to do with how easy it is to get going. An awful lot of bikes just are not good for conversion, even with a lot of work.

Post photos, a good deal can be figured out from looking at the problem. Chain coming off could be as simple as turning the sprocket over, the off set teeth should be on the spoke side for most installations. Without a photo hard to figure out.

There's a lot of help here. We can get this figured out :)

edit: plus I see your in PA. There are many here from Penn, depending on where you are chances are there's someone close to you that might be able to help you out. Even here in Boise, Idaho I've had people over here several times working on their bikes getting them going.

It's a community thing :)

Last edited:

stig

Sep 27, 2011
WA USA
look for a used older bike on craigs list sometimes you can find them from $20 to $60 if the people just want them gone. make sure its round down tube.. and the oval tube is probably most of your problems and might also be the reason why it wont line up right!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Edge Welcome to THE Forum! I have two Mongoose MTN bikes. Easy fix, large tube frames. Use steel, or some other metal to make a front mounting plate that will bolt to the motor. Use a U bolt to go around the frame and bolt to the plate. $5.00. Flip the sprocket over on the rear wheel so the teeth are on the outside. Alignment is a must! The sprocket must run true. It takes time. Flip the bike over and sit behind it, chains off. Spin it. Has to be strait. I use stainless steel cap screws and Aircraft nuts on mine. (c)

cwdtx

Oct 1, 2011
Connecticut
Hi! I have the same problem,I bought the same bike as you,getting ready to go out to the garage and give it another try