Which sprocket should I get

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so I decided against getting a shift kit. Although it would be really cool, I don't ride my bike that much and figure I just play around with it for fun. My car is my main form of transport. So spending 200+ on the other parts I would need isn't worth it for me.

Right now, I have the default sprocket. 44T I think right?

I am topping out at around 26 at WOT. I would like to increase this to around 30-35 range. Where I live there are no hills, its all flat.

So which size sprocket should I get so I can cruise around 30 without the engine sounding like its about to blow.

And where do I get them?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hey guys, so I decided against getting a shift kit. Although it would be really cool, I don't ride my bike that much and figure I just play around with it for fun. My car is my main form of transport. So spending 200+ on the other parts I would need isn't worth it for me.

Right now, I have the default sprocket. 44T I think right?

I am topping out at around 26 at WOT. I would like to increase this to around 30-35 range. Where I live there are no hills, its all flat.

So which size sprocket should I get so I can cruise around 30 without the engine sounding like its about to blow.

And where do I get them?
Look at this....
http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin/files/jtgearratio.pdf

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Just for reference how many teeth is our front sprocket? Bike is in the garage and I don't want to get it :p

Also, im thinking maybe a 32 or 26 sprocket, but I am not sure of where to buy them online

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh ok so its around 1mph per tooth. Ok. Where can I get sprockets that work for these bikes? I'm interested in the 32 tooth.

@Nashville Kat, whats your top speed?

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Boygofast and luckyyearlybird on ebay generaly have 36 or 32 sprokes- steel- and you can also get them with the six inner drillings to fit a disk brake or modified drilled flip/flop hub- it might pay off later to try and get one with the 6 hole inner drillings as well as the 9 hole rag joint- the sprocks have both drillings- if you ask for them they usually say they have them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/motor-motorized...848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67e0b138

http://cgi.ebay.com/motor-motorized...126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bad89b16

there's sprockets at vendors here- even color annodized alloy, but you'll pay about 50 dollars or more for them- a 36 can be had for about $25-30 dollars shipped at cheaper places

I haven't had a speedo on my speed, but I think I can get up to about 35 on the flats- I usually cruise a bit slower than wide open- and I can keep up with most of the traffic on my street if I open it up- a 30 zone with a bike lane- so I think they're usually at 35

the best part of the smaller sprocket is not the top end, but the lesser revs at cruise- and that equals less vibration. So does NOT riding knobby tires or beach tires- a nice street tread makes a lot of dif if you stay on pavement.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok, because I am reading, and people are saying with a 32T sprocket, its much harder to start it. So maybe a 34 or 36 tooth is what I need. I'm just looking for a nice 30MPH cruise speed without going to WOT

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I run a 36T on one bike and a 34T on another, mine pulls the hills around here just fine and I have a comfortable cruise speed of 30-32MPH on both bikes, I also have a 32T that I have not tried yet so I cant comment on it at this time.

best wishes geoldr

Peace, map

Ok, because I am reading, and people are saying with a 32T sprocket, its much harder to start it. So maybe a 34 or 36 tooth is what I need. I'm just looking for a nice 30MPH cruise speed without going to WOT

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm learning. :)

I agree with Nashville Kat abt the best part being lower cruise rpm, and Venice and AZ abt the 40T probably being a better selection for standard use.
I'd like to get one!

Beginning to understand the design... and I'm still working on my 1st gallon of mix!
rc

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I think I will get a 36 tooth. Because I don't have that many hills to worry about, usually when I ride, its an hour long straight 15 mile ride on one road. And if I can just cruise at 30+ without WOT, that would be perfect.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
30MPH with a 36T will have you at a tad over half throttle...

Peace, map

I think I will get a 36 tooth. Because I don't have that many hills to worry about, usually when I ride, its an hour long straight 15 mile ride on one road. And if I can just cruise at 30+ without WOT, that would be perfect.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok that sounds good. What about pedaling the bike to start? I don't mind pedaling, but with a 36T sprocket, how slow can I go without it dying? Right now it goes around 7-10 without having to pull in the clutch

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I peddle mine up to 9 or 10mph to start it up and then it will putt along on a flat smooth road at 11 or 12mph but does best at around 15mph, engine doesnt work as hard at that speed, but 20-22mph is a real nice putt putt speed on the low end and then 28-32mph is where mine really likes to run with the 36T, it will cruise at 34mph real easy too, but the vibes start hitting just a bit at that speed on mine, NOT real bad but I notice the increase so I just back off to the 30-32mph mark and it settles right down and is very comfortable.

peace, map

Ok that sounds good. What about pedaling the bike to start? I don't mind pedaling, but with a 36T sprocket, how slow can I go without it dying? Right now it goes around 7-10 without having to pull in the clutch

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

With no hills, a lightweight rider:confused:, using a 26" wheel, and not having a lot of need to slow down you could (or probably should) go a little smaller still (smaller than 36T that is)...

I have a 36T on my bike (only because I have been too lazy to take it off and out a smaller one on it)....it tops out at about 34 MPH but that is with the engine screaming at about 6400 or so RPM (I have a tiny tach but cant remember the exact numbers BUT I would NOT want to hold the engine at those RPMs for extended periods...Of course it could be just my engine that sounds like it was gonna blow at those RPMs).

A bunch of guys in FL got 27T sprockets for their bikes and cruise at high speeds to work and love it.

If 27T sounds too radical you can go larger BUT I would personally go quite a bit smaller than 36T if I had 15 miles to go on the flats....

FWIW - assuming your engine is in a state of tune and works properly, it will actually feel easier to start w/ the smaller rear sprocket.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

El Timon

Jul 28, 2011
Arizona
Boygofast and luckyyearlybird on ebay generaly have 36 or 32 sprokes- steel- and you can also get them with the six inner drillings to fit a disk brake or modified drilled flip/flop hub- it might pay off later to try and get one with the 6 hole inner drillings as well as the 9 hole rag joint- the sprocks have both drillings- if you ask for them they usually say they have them.

motor motorized engine bike kit 36 T 9 hole sprocket | eBay

motor motorized engine bike kit 32 T 9 hole sprocket | eBay

there's sprockets at vendors here- even color annodized alloy, but you'll pay about 50 dollars or more for them- a 36 can be had for about $25-30 dollars shipped at cheaper places

I haven't had a speedo on my speed, but I think I can get up to about 35 on the flats- I usually cruise a bit slower than wide open- and I can keep up with most of the traffic on my street if I open it up- a 30 zone with a bike lane- so I think they're usually at 35

the best part of the smaller sprocket is not the top end, but the lesser revs at cruise- and that equals less vibration. So does NOT riding knobby tires or beach tires- a nice street tread makes a lot of dif if you stay on pavement.
Stanton-Inc. seams to have all the same parts and have a better return policy. I beleive they also drop ship for other retailers, maybe that's where they are getting them from, could be..

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Well, thanks for all the helps guys, I couldnt decide between the 36 or 32, so I bought both of them. They were on sale so I got both for less than 40 bucks.