power assisted wheel chair?

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
a friend of mine is handy capped and we got into a discussion on how to make a power assisted wheel chair...no, not a hoveround but an actual wheel chair that is still controlled by the wheels...we had a few criteria for it...one it would have to be electric so it can go indoors and the speed has to be set by the speed the rims are turned at....the idea is to keep this thing as much of a standard chair as possible....now this site is full of mechanically minded people that think outside the box so i think im going to get some replies....ive had some ideas but the more i think them through i always run into a snag....so im not going to mention them so i dont screw up your creative mind.....been thinking for about a month on this...would like to hear your ideas too

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A belt drive to each wheel, and the proper electric motors and controllers would be fairly simple.

Or, How about a powered singular front wheel with 360 degree steering like a bumper car?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Let me get the perimeters straight in my mind.
1. Do you want to steer it by changing the speed of a large side wheel. Ie one wheel move faster than the other.

2. You want to be able to change direction of the wheels as well to steer. Ie turn one backward and one forward for a tight turn.

If that is what you want I'm thinking controller for each wheel. You could just stop one and kick the other in to turn it, Each wheel with a sprocket and chain drive like on a scooter. The sprockets are easy to find and should weld up ok. Both motors could share the same battery pack. Since you don't need speed a 24v for the expense would be doable. Maybe even 12v since you don't really want to be flying around in a wheel chair

If I were doing it, i would go with two bicycle wheels to replace the chair wheels. Give it more strength. A throttle on each side to control that wheels speed thereby controlling the steering. It would be far be the simplest way to go. You could roll the chair by hand as well, since electric motors can be engaged and still turn easily. You wouldn't really need a free wheel. Smaller motors should do fine for the build since again speed is not a requirement. It would be a lot like a friction drive, turn the wheel a little to get it started then move to the controllers to get your real power.

Mount both motor under the seat. One to turn each directions so you could mount them sideby side with chains facing out. I have never seen a chair up close and personal does it have a full axle. I don't suppose the folding ones do, but how about the hospital type ones do they have a full axle.

A motorized old wicker one with the high back might be pretty radical.

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Big project.
Deacon has it right, twin motors/ controllers.
I am about to try a belt drive on my e-bike, which will allow (hopefully) much less drag than all the chains I have been using. The belt needs to be slack and free for non-motor use.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
professor - if you check out the grubee ad , they sell wheels that have a freewheel gear on both sides . or search ( scooter parts ) , then you wouldn,t need the belt to be slack under no power .

noco - that's a perfectly do-able project , the hard part is finding a ( throttle ) that works in 2 directions + and - with off in the middle , try searching parts for ( mobility scooters ) they may have the proper throttles and controllers you will need .

OR try searching kijiji for a used mobility scooter , if you find one cheap enough , you could butcher it for the parts , ( probably everything you need - throttle,controllers,motor,battery,charger - everything except a means of connecting to the wheelchair wheels ... batteries aren't cheap

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
OR , how bout this idea

en electric trike your friend could just roll up on the back between the tires and lock down the wheelchair ( i,ve seen it done with motorcycles , in a sidecar setup , with all the controls in the sidecar part )

scrap that idea , your friend would have to keep it parked outside , and it would end up getting stolen .

Attachments

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
thanks guys....i was thinking duel motors....i was leaning more towards direct drive though cause 10 mph in a chair is pretty fast....would have to find the right rpm motors for this....ive toyed around with the drive problem....i really didnt consider using 2 drives but why not the other wheel doesnt have to know what the other is doing the driver is in charge of that...i would need some type of encoder though so the drives know there rpms andd can maintain it....but what about braking...the drives need to see the increase in amperage to know that the chair is slowing down...can a drive be programmed this way....what about hills....the amperage would increase going up but can the drive be programmed to realize that if it sees you helping it for a few strokes that it is not time to brake....you guys have had very simmilar ideas to me but i always run into this delema....im sure at some point im going to need to relax on some of the criteria but i dont want to comprimise to much