Don't Play With Knives

GoldenMotor.com

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
:( cut all my finger open on Wednesday and just then the firs time i could take the bandage off of it i sadly found out hat i have lost all feeling in the top 80% of the middle finger in my left hand. DON'T PLAY WITH KNIVES.

i sustained the cut while cutting a roller blade wheel with a super-sharp surgical bade, only problem was that it was an interchangeable blade and i had lost the handle. so i was using a 1 inch long blade on some hard plastic when it got me on he back stroke. it wasn't particularly long but i could see the muscle on both sides which meant it was deep, which it was. after the hot ex-nurse from next door stitched it back together she told me i might lose some feeling. and now, that i have i am thinking that i should probably take more care (which i wont) and use the right tools (which i wont).

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
LOL!!!!
JB is the backup for the super glue!

I don't know if you guys have ever tried it, but super glue is the bomb for quickly repairing a cut. Another "installers" trick. Getting cuts on your hands, when you have to work in someone's car is a problem. Dealing with recently trimmed metal in someone's old dash to install a radio gives you some cuts real quick all over your hands and fingers. Run to the sink, rinse with cold water to stop the bleeding, cover cut with glue, give it a minute to dry, go back to work. Band-aids don't work on the hands real good, fingers maybe, but not your palms or the back of the hands.

The best thing is to not get cut, thus the gloves.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've used super glue on cuts forever. it was always in my first aid kit. i thought it was actually invented for that purpose, but i just looked it up, and here's the answer;

"Since its heralded beginning, the powerful adhesive known as Super Glue has enjoyed a rich history - including an imaginative element of mythology! Though urban legend describes the glue as an accidental solution to battle wounds during World War II, its actual evolution is a little different."

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
make sure it's super glue and not crazy glue... Crazy glue will burn like CRAZY!

I wouldn't use it on anything real deep though!

Gloves are good but when arround jagged metal, tape the edges!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use krazy glue all the time. never burned me.

the stuff that really burns is called "skin shield," and it's actually made for cuts. it even says "soothing" on it. it's like lighting your skin on fire when you first put it on...

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Well 'what can I say. There are those who cut theirselves and those who do not.

I was working a night shift one time,runnin a cutting lathe making blanks out of 5-1/2"
double extra heavy seamless machineable tubbing(pipe) for the ncl threaders that make oilwell pipe couplings(collars).

Anyway the foreman came up to me and told me to give the quality control dude a crash coarse on the big band saws because they needed blanks for 8-5/8 collars.

I told the quality control dude that the number one rule is never put his fingers within 3 inches of those blades while they are moving, even if the blade is winding down and is moving very slowly comming to a complete stop!! I really stressed the point and told him more than once very seriously.

I went back to my cutting lathe and the next thing u know, there he is standing there,and the only thing conecting his thumb to his hand was a tiny peice of skin.

AHHHH!!! WHY DID NOT HE LISTEN???? HE DID EXACTLY WHAT I TOLD HIM NOT TO DO!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I TOLD HIM MORE THAN ONCE !!!! u know when I think about that , I get real mad.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was at a lawn mower shop some years ago when the owner was demonstrating a new mower to a cutomer. "And never put your hand in here." he said to the guy as he casually stuck his hand into the discharge shoot, with the engine running and blade engaged.
"clang, clang, clang" and four of his fingers were on the floor. Just that quick.
Tom

"clang"

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I was at a lawn mower shop some years ago when the owner was demonstrating a new mower to a cutomer. "And never put your hand in here." he said to the guy as he casually stuck his hand into the discharge shoot, with the engine running and blade engaged.
"clang, clang, clang" and four of his fingers were on the floor. Just that quick.
Tom
Tom, I had something very similar happen when I worked at a cotton mill years ago. It was my first day and I was "in training" in what was called the card room. A card machine had a huge drum with about 5 million little needles on it to shred the cotton fibers and turn them into a large rope looking product called sliver. The trainer, already missing 3 fingers, plainly explained to me not to ever stick my hand in here, as he stuck his hand in there, and I could see blood and bone instantly. Good training for me. I never stuck my hand in there! Do you know that Avondale Mills had an appendage policy? They paid $5000 per finger. Guess he needed to pay some bills. I also guess he had about 6 more trainees coming his way before his training days were over.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Super glue and Krazy glue are both the same thing, cyroanalate glue. There is actually a medical version of the stuff that's basically the same but sterile and it's used to glue incisions. I use the stuff too for minor cuts. I was doing something stupid with my pocket knife and managed to fold it over my hand. Major cut on my first finger of my left hand. I lost feeling in the end of that finger for about five years and then it seemed to come back to normal. Apparently nerves can take a long time to grow back across a cut. Glad it did since I'm left handed. It's really irritating to do something like that when you know better. I knew that if I slipped with the blade it would fold on me but just needed to make one more cut...

Indybiker

Mar 9, 2010
Indiana
My highschool gym teacher found out that the blades on a tomahawk chipper shredder were just exactly where he thought he wanted to put his fingers.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
LOL!!!!
JB is the backup for the super glue!

I don't know if you guys have ever tried it, but super glue is the bomb for quickly repairing a cut. Another "installers" trick. Getting cuts on your hands, when you have to work in someone's car is a problem. Dealing with recently trimmed metal in someone's old dash to install a radio gives you some cuts real quick all over your hands and fingers. Run to the sink, rinse with cold water to stop the bleeding, cover cut with glue, give it a minute to dry, go back to work. Band-aids don't work on the hands real good, fingers maybe, but not your palms or the back of the hands.

The best thing is to not get cut, thus the gloves.
aye the superglue is quite similar to what is used in hospitals for the same thing.duh.