drive sprocket removal

GoldenMotor.com

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I tried to remove my drive sprocket so I could profile it and it will not budge! The nut came off easy enough, but I actually bent the puller tool a little while torquing it down. I also tried tapping on it a little while under a load, and no luck! I haven't tried heat yet, I tried searching the forum for a couple hours and no luck.
The reason I need to work on the sprocket is that I am trying to use a KMC K415H Nickle plated chain and it wads up under the cover. The engine came with a 415 chain but this one seems to have something different about it, the side plates do look a little different, not much. Its just an aesthetic thing I have a TSC 41 chain on it now that works fine, but after 2 years of fiddling, I have the bike looking good (to me) and I just want a little nicer chain, I know it will be tough enough. Are there any tricks to removing the sprocket?
It is a 66cc motor, but I'm not sure what 66cc, I know it isn't a Grubee though.

Thanks.

ISHMAN

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen those shafts worn at the end such that the hole for the bucking bar is enlarged quite a bit which mushrooms the end of the shaft much larger than the part where the sprocket sits - in those cases, I've replaced the shaft.

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
This engine has less than 150 miles on it, maybe less than 100. I was thinking of removing the shaft too, but wouldnt the sprocket need to be removed first, before you can get the shaft out?

ISHMAN

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no biggie, just take clutch off other side and pull shaft with bearing still attached out sprocket side

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
no biggie, just take clutch off other side and pull shaft with bearing still attached out sprocket side
Good morning, Mr Crass.. I've never taken mine apart. Would that removal require a press, pounding or sweating at the thing to get it out, or does it just come apart nice and peacefully?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I once had to use a puller on an older motor, but usually a plastic mallet will drive it out. Cleaning around that bearing with a small parts brush & gasoline will help if sand & grit have collected there.

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
Thanks for the reply Mr Crassius. Last night I did a little massaging with my Dremmel and got the chain to run relatively smooth through the drive sprocket but, I also ordered a new sprocket as I want to do a much more precise job of profiling the teeth. Nice to know I can get the shaft out as I will then be able to press the sprocket off. Good deal.

Thanks again.

ISHMAN