College Student on a Budget

GoldenMotor.com

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
I want to build a motorized bike for going to and from college, it's 7 miles and I'd like to go at least 40mph if possible. I'd like it to be as cheap and light as possible. If anyone has a list of bikes that fit engine kits really well, that's much appreciated. If anyone can recommend a good and cheap engine kit, that's also appreciated. This won't be my first motorized bike, but it will be my first budgeted one.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Every member has a favorite bike and motor kit and they vary a lot. If you plan to commute daily, I would get a four stroke kit on a beach cruiser. Mixing gas and oil for a two stroke can be a pain if you need to ride daily.
New, discount store bikes work. A used bike around 10 years old will will probably hold up better. Just my opinion.

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi Maskot!

Welcome to the forum. First you need to decide what style of bike you want to build. Cruiser, road, etc etc. Then you have to decide what type of engine, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, electric. Then decide what type of material you want your bike made out of, aluminum or steel. That's an awful lot to think about. Decide those things then give more informed questions. There's a lot of members here who will help you out. College nice!

Dave
AssembleThis

.xx.

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
What were all of your previous "unbudgeted" motorbikes?

Why not fix up one of those?
This is my personal bike, a lot of time and care went into it. But it's far too heavy to carry up two flights of stairs everyday and it's also at my parents house which is three hours away.

Last edited: