Wild Turkey stretch project.......

GoldenMotor.com

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hello fellow addicts

Here is a pic of a bike that i am going to give the full treatment too
Its a wild tukey promotional bike that is in aluminium so its quite light. my last build was a steel frame so im not too sure what to watch out for, but i will take my time with it.
i have found a welder around the corner from my place that will do the welding also this is my first stretch. tyres are 24x3.25 and wheels are 72 spoke...cheers...

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
ahhh ALUMINUM is not the best material for one of these bikes , I am sure others will chime in on this , just search the forum an you will see.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
yes i have read alot of links on this matter and will definatly not be drilling holes....this will need alot of thought on the engine mount used..

Anyone successful with this type of aplication?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If aluminum can be used on motorcycle swing arms, seems it would hold up on a stretch bike. Just make sure you gusset it well.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
G'day mate. I'm just about to build my second bike, and found this post about the same one I've chosen to build.
Did you get it done? I'm just going over mine and eyeing it up for chain clearances, custom mounts etc. Might be a challenge or two coming up.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a beautiful machine! I will defer to others on the merits, demerits of aluminum... know nothing about it and never had one. One thought would be to use a low vibration engine. The China girls I've met were pretty bad in that way. I was wondering, too about your final drive. Can't very well get a hub adapter in between those spokes, but I was thinking that a belt drive would be very cool... along the lines of the old Simplex or Whizzer, using a sheave (you can still buy them through Whizzer). Possibly a lower revving four stroke to keep the vibrations down, then a jack shaft to manage the gearing and alignment to the sheave.
It really is a great looking bike. Keep us informed with what you do. Good luck!
SB

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I don't know about the American ones, but I just put a magnet to my Aussie one and it stuck convincingly. I had to ask the bloke I bought it from too if it was ally or not as it was so light. The heaviest parts are the wheels, (and probably the source of most if my challenges coming up).

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hello fellow addicts

Here is a pic of a bike that i am going to give the full treatment too
Its a wild tukey promotional bike that is in aluminium so its quite light. my last build was a steel frame so im not too sure what to watch out for, but i will take my time with it.
i have found a welder around the corner from my place that will do the welding also this is my first stretch. tyres are 24x3.25 and wheels are 72 spoke...cheers...
You didn't specify what kind of engine you are using for this build. An electric, big bore 4-stroke, 66cc 2-stroke china, a Briggs and Stratton or perhaps a Tanaka 2-stroke or Morini?

I like aluminium frames and haven't had any probs using them for motorized builds. Just build it well and she'll be right Mate!

Cheers!

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Well mine will be a 70cc Chinese reworked (as in, machined up and made awesome) by a builder I know in Queensland. Using a 39t rear sprocket and high compression head.
At this stage I'll be looking at a custom sprocket adaptor for the 68 spoke wheels and an extra chain guide or two to keep things under control.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hi there Cruise I am still committed to this project and have taken a step back as I'm looking at turning this into a trike for a friend of mine who has become wheelchair bound after a cycling accident!! My rat is being pulled down at the moment for a rebuild so after that this build will take off. I will look at a 4Stoke for this as some of the more experienced builders here have done amazing things! So trike with a hitch for the chair at the rear and can't wait to take a ride alongside on the ratt!! I'll keep you posted on this. Cheers