Comet Torque Verter attention!

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
If you are using a Comet series 30 Torque Verter Transmission put an Odometer on your bike and keep track of maintenance. The rear jack shaft bearings on mine destroyed themselves yesterday. I had to call AAA for a ride home. No other damage happened. I had 1400 miles on those bearings when they blew. I recommend replacement of them around 1200 miles. They won't last forever. Motion Industries, a bearing supply house that is Nation wide has a good replacement, #00106201, it is a precision ground made in America bearing for $16.92 each, and you will need two of them. I should have thought about this first. It's the fastest moving bearing on the bike next to the engine and it is permanently sealed, so you can't re-lube it. Cheap insurance from getting stranded.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Good to know...I just added a chain tensioner sprocket and the china bearing is already making noise. Looks like a skateboard bearing so now I am looking at my kids skakeboard bearings to see if that will work. Always something...

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
High speed bearings are also available. They have larger tolerances than standard bearings.
Yeah, the bearings I quoted for $16 a pop were those. You can get made in China bearings for $3 each or get precision polished and ground made in USA bearings for $16. You do get what you pay for. I used to say buy the most expensive tires and batteries you can afford, now bearings are on that short list.