CG to GTA 2 frame

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
So i have a chinagirl motor and a new GTA frame. I just notices that the mounting holes do not match up with the holes in the frame mount. What to do aside from a new frame or a new motor?

The holes in the frame are about 2 and 3/8 (6mm) and the studs on the motor are about 2 and 3/4, or about 42mm. What to do ?

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
So i have a chinagirl motor and a new GTA frame. I just notices that the mounting holes do not match up with the holes in the frame mount. What to do aside from a new frame or a new motor?

The holes in the frame are about 2 and 3/8 (6mm) and the studs on the motor are about 2 and 3/4, or about 42mm. What to do ?
You have an earlier frame and a later motor? The motors studs are wider than the mounting holes?

If this is the case elongate the slots to the outside and use good back up washers or better yet make a plate from flat bar to go under each bolt at the frames mount.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
That rubber block insulator is designed for the front pedestal mount, and fits under the front removable thick engine block hollow area. Its not for the bracket in your picture. As everyone will tell you...do not use rubber on any of the mounts to frame. It will cause the engine to vibrate more and cause possible frame failure. So maybe aim for the trash can and toss. I had one also that came with my Gt2a frame, it went in the round file.

Its funny because I have the opposite problem. I have the narrow front engine
studs and the wider frame holes. Either way you will need to just drill the frame pedestal to match your front studs. and use some solid washers underneath as suggested.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
To clarify ...I have an old motor and new frame and you have the new (Grubee) motor and old frame...its too funny if you think about it. Its the way stuff goes I guess. Some smart alec is gonna tell us to trade motors any minute.
:-||

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Toss the rubber mount. It will cause your engine to saw through the frame.

I'm a little confused on which is bigger/smaller by the wording, but it seems that by just looking at the pics that the frame mount is wider than the engine stud spacing.

If that's the case, you would need to measure up and drill new holes, or spend some time with a die grinder and do like ziptie says and elongate the holes. Either way, you're in for some modification.

With that being said, the frame mount post (pedestal) that supports the flat part of the mount (where the engine bolts to) will probably be in the way of the nuts when you go to bolt it together. No worries, though. You can get Allen cap screws to replace the studs.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks for the allen caps tip. That will help me out bigtime ( maybe) as I am the one with the narrow bolt pattern and they may hit my pedestal tube, Ill know soon. Ru14real will be way out to the edge of the mount. I'm going drill it out tonight...

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
My GT2-A frame was built pretty stupid. With the engine bolted to the front pedestal mount, the rear mount block was about 3/4" away from the seat tube.

I thought about it for a second or 2, then removed the rear studs, measured them up, and got some longer ones from Ace hardware and about 2" worth of washers. The washers went between the engine and rear mount. It holds solid, and you can barely tell unless you look super close.

I'm not so sure why they welded the mount too far forward, but I'll bet it's got something to do with different Chinese manufacturers ripping off the same thing (oh wow, you mean just like they did with the bicycle engine?!)

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Agreen...yea like the engine... It was no doubt a copy of a copy of a copy that was copied. just kidding) maybe I'm not). Just like the BMW side car motorcycle was copied by 3 counties during and after the war.
Your pedestal was only 3/4" off..? at least it wasn't twisted 30 degrees. Now that just dang good quality control. Still these GT frames really rock once the battles are over in building them. I'm worried I am addicted to these cool frames and am already day dreaming about a third one before my second one is complete and build it in a 4 stroke with a jack shaft for the challenge... Still wishing there was a sub category for the GT2 A and S with a bunch of informative stickies in one place.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Ru14real, I set the engine on the pedestal with studs sticking out then lined up the studs where I wanted them. Traced them with a sharpie. Center punched a deep starter punch dent in the center of each red circle with a big hammer. Took a 1/8th inch drill bit and drilled through the pedestal. Then took a 5/16 drill and opened up the holes. Engine now fits perfect. I had to grind the 2 flat washers down so they miss the round Pedestal post and welds and installed nuts and all fit like a glove. I can testify that the GT2a has hardened aluminum of some sort. I've drilled a lot of 6061 aluim and this seemed to me to be about 50 percent harder so make sure you have good sharp drill bits.