Mongoose beast

GoldenMotor.com

HankSC

Sep 18, 2014
Charleston, SC
Just finished my build. Started with the Mongoose Dolomite and turned it into more of a cruiser. 500W electric on the front wheel with 48V 12AH Lithium NCM Battery on the rear rack...

John C.
Charleston, SC

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just finished my build. Started with the Mongoose Dolomite and turned it into more of a cruiser. 500W electric on the front wheel with 48V 12AH Lithium NCM Battery on the rear rack...

Cool build John!

Did you lace the front hub motor in that 4" rim yourself?

How is your performance with that single speed hub and little battery?

Heck if that setup will move someone along as well as my setup for a few hundred less that would be great!

I went a different direction, mid mount, huge $1.000 battery, and gears.

Cool as can be but expensive for most.

These e-Fatties are popping up all over
http://www.fattireallterrainbikes.c...4-fat-tire-a-t-e-monster-electric-bike-detail

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I would get a fat tire back wheel hub motor kit. And one of those battery packs like KC has or one of those new style water bottle types. I'm probably going to wait until the 11 speed 29er fat tire bikes come out. with fenders and front and back racks

Last edited:

steveanson

Oct 2, 2014
Houston, TX
Oh, forgot to mention that I did have to buy a lower profile rear tire. The stock one rubbed the jackshaft-to-engine chain & it would have eventually been a problem. It's another "barely fits" item on this bike, but it works just fine.

The disc brakes are actually pretty good. They squealed a lot in the beginning, but they are starting to be a little quieter with some use.
Bzura, what replacement rear tire did you buy, and from where? Thanks, Steve

steveanson

Oct 2, 2014
Houston, TX
I've made an offer for a red rimmed 'fat boy' on our local craigslist, I hope it works out for me. I've wanted to park an engine in one of them the first time I saw one. One way or another, I hope to assemble one. Thanks for showing us that it can be done...Steve

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've made an offer for a red rimmed 'fat boy' on our local craigslist, I hope it works out for me. I've wanted to park an engine in one of them the first time I saw one. One way or another, I hope to assemble one. Thanks for showing us that it can be done...Steve
The Sun Crusher is a better frame if you use a gas engine.

It is a more comfortable ride than the Mongoose as well.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC, I had noticed your bike earlier and have a new love.
I think I also prefer the 3.5" tires better. Thanks for the 'heads-up'...Steve
My pleasure Steve.
The 4" (4.5" middle) knobby tires are a bit unruly to handle and not very smooth on pavement.
The 3.5" (4" middle) street tires are a joy to ride on, even without a front shock.

The Sun has it's challenges though.
The brakes though V's aren't disc's and converting the extra wide bottom bracket with 3-piece cranks for JS sprocket has it's tricks.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I,m thinking about that being my next one also, but 4 stroke.Being I have
a machine shop at home & a tig welder I,m set up to do it.It is just too cool
a looking bike.

Lord you guys have turned the bug on me & he bit me big time.What have I
got my self into???
Fly

Last edited:

SuperSprocket

Dec 14, 2014
Richmond, IL
COOL! Love to see what you come up with. Been thinkin' of the 4 stroke too. I just took the China Girl from my Schwinn apart for seasonal maintenance and am kinda shocked at how poorly it was assembled and yet still ran without a problem. Bad bearings, torn seals and poor assembly. Looks like it was assembled by an uninformed 10 year old. Wonder if the same is true of those 49cc Huas? Hate to spend the money on a Honda and find out it just won't fit, so I might just go ahead and try a Hua.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well that's a heavy bike, no matter which one you choose. I have some big
hills & I,m not a small fellow.The two bikes I really like are these fat tire
bikes, & the board racers types.Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fly