pocket bike/cag engined bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

jc520

Apr 29, 2012
ireland
I am relativaley new to motorised bicyles and i have had a 48cc chinese kit on a hardtail mountain bike for about a year i have had to replace various parts on it just last week i blew the head gasket.:-||

Now for my second build i am planning on putting a pocket bike/cag engine on a bicycle i am not sure what kind of bike i will use yet i have a few lying around at the moment but i was wondering what gearing should i use if i am using a 26 inch wheel top speed doesnt matter to me that much it would be more take off speed i am intrested in and if it would be able to do 25mph i would be happy just to clarify i have not bought an engine but i think i will go with a pocket bike one as i can get a new one off of ebay for about i also like the idea of a centrifugal clutch, thanks in advance
jack

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cag motors are known to be nothing but trouble to keep running.
There's a reason they are so cheap new.
By several, you'll need them.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My advice is to stay away from pocket bike engines, if you're looking for easy fun.On my first gas-powered bike, I used friction drive/ rear Robin/Subaru engine. That's the simplest way to go. For 27mph, use the 1.125" roller. Fun. Simple. Quiet. Trouble free. Super cheap on gas and no mixing oil. For more power, use the 2.2hp Mitsubishi 2.2hp engine. Troublefree. Fun. A little louder. Cheap on gas. Will get you past 30mph.

No bike yet? Get a used quality bike on craigslist or a garage sale. Buy one with brakes front and rear, and a suspension fork. Rides at high speeds are much safer and more enjoyable. At 28mph on the street, you'll need good reflexes, riding experience and excellent brakes. Don't forget to buy a motorcycle helmet, gloves, etc.

Last edited:

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa

AHH!!! X.X ghetto as ****!!! But it still works after 2 years, life spans the biggest issue next key if I did do a Stihl it would be team winning at a dealership.

Problem is where can I get a clutch for a still chain driven or a lit of models that accept standard tooth chains I really don't want to get my leg chopped off, those eater/saw motors also have no mounting points so saving is the biggest key on fabrication as far as hp goes I have to be 49cc exact no bigger, not sure if anyone here else is of other then Caucasian background but a Hispanic will get pulled over for 2 or more riders, an african american will get pulled over due to color + both of our backgrounds have been known to soup up illegal bikes. If I get pulled over I want a reason to laugh at an officers but still be under the 10mph rule on standard highway speed is 40mph. I do laugh at officers yes but I also pack my laws and rights as a note to let them know I am doing nothing wrong. I've been tailgated from des moines to burien by an officer before eventually he gets mad pulls beside me and I wave at him he looks back gets even more angry and slams on his gas pedal. A lot of the officers are illiterate to the actual moped laws because 49cc is as slow as can be so it's not manditory to stop a law abiding citizen. Just going to be using it to get to South Seattle Community College I refuse to ride the ratchet 30 year long bus route.

I don't even have lighting just standard reflectors as I will not drive any vehicle that does 30mph at night.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
My advice is to stay away from pocket bike engines, if you're looking for easy fun.On my first gas-powered bike, I used friction drive/ rear Robin/Subaru engine. That's the simplest way to go. For 27mph, use the 1.125" roller. Fun. Simple. Quiet. Trouble free. Super cheap on gas and no mixing oil. For more power, use the 2.2hp Mitsubishi 2.2hp engine. Troublefree. Fun. A little louder. Cheap on gas. Will get you past 30mph.

No bike yet? Get a used quality bike on craigslist or a garage sale. Buy one with brakes front and rear, and a suspension fork. Rides at high speeds are much safer and more enjoyable. At 28mph on the street, you'll need good reflexes, riding experience and excellent brakes. Don't forget to buy a motorcycle helmet, gloves, etc.
Check the latest comment in regards to size of the engine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Here it is, almost 4 years later. I'm building a mid-framed cruiser, featuring a Tanaka 47R engine. Perched next to this first-class engine is my unused modified cag motor I bought 9 years ago. It's like comparing a hot dog with filet mignon, which I like both. If the Tanaka won't work for me, I'll just eat the hot dog.drn2

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have a slowly happening Cag motor construction, I'm going to sidestep the reliability issue by restricting it to 16mph, UK Low Power Moped laws. It'll be at about 40% of max revs, and 1/3 of peak power. You'd think it would stand a chance.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Instead of detuning the engine, you could simply limit yourself to drive below17mph. If you can't, adjust the throttle cable so you don't get full throttle.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The law governing weedy motors states 16mph as designed top speed, so it's getting a restrictable throttle as the design feature that limits it. Then the bike can be put through it's VOSA test.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The engine is a reed valver, which should give decent torque, and it's low geared so it will rev quite well, and the bike has fully operating pedalling which means I can assist the thing if it needs it.