• I rarely wear a helmet when riding

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I just man it without one on

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I've been riding for over 2 years now and have 2 two helmets but have only worn them 3-4 times so-far. I'm pretty used to riding with no helmet but I still get a little cringy now and then without one on. I mainly don't wear one just because each time I ride in town (when not cruising) I ride for maybe 2 minutes. I'll also wear one when I want to turn some heads. So that's my deal. What about you guys?

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If I go down my street or around the neighborhood for a quick spin sometimes I do not wear my helmet.

But if I go anywhere outside the neighborhood I always wear my helmet and my safety vest.

Reactions: Smith80

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I didn't use a helmet for my first 2 years. Not even a bicycle helmet. I lived in ND at the time and there was no helmet laws unless you were a kid.
When I moved back to Cali in 2008 I wore a bicycle helmet and always pedaled, didn't get a real-ish helmet until I started riding with others.
Ironically, I also lowered my cruising speed by 10MPH. When I lived in ND I rode fast all the time because the roads were straight and traffic was light.

Some would say you bumped your head anyway if you're non-caging without a helmet. Ofc you can split your head open at any time.
What-ifs can kill ya anyway if you let em get to you. But don't leave the people who love ya prematurely in a Darwinian fashion :D

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i always wear mine. about the only time i don't is if i'm just running around the block tuning a bike or something. which is pretty stupid, because i'm flying up residential streets at 40+. easy way to get my clock cleaned.

at least my neighbors are cool about the noise...:)

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
My brother is very optimistic about helmets, this is what he says. Helmets are great it's easier to identify the body.:p

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
same with many of you guys. If i'm just riding it down the street to tune, I dont bother with a helmet although I do fear that a police officer is going to turn the corner and bust me.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I wear my bicycle helmet when I go to the doc's office, but usually wear a baseball cap.
...lotta glare around these parts and the visor is something I can't get by without anymore.
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wear my helmet because here in Australia, well at least in the state i live, you must wear one by law or receive a fine. The law was brought in when i was at high school in 1991 and since then ive noticed a dramatic reduction in the numbers of bicycle riders, especially kids (its not COOL to wear a helmet) and the elderly (its hot enough here without wearing a helmet), and in that time ive noticed a dramatic rise in the number of cars on the road, coincidence? Perhaps, could be just a rise in population, but the bicycle laws havent helped.... i rarely see kids riding bikes to school, and around school time is when traffic is at its worst.

Not only that there is evidence against wearing helmets thats worth a read, this probably applies more to bicycling rather then motorbicycling:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/5334208.stm

http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I wear a helmet most of the time.
If I am just putting down to the end of the block and back most of the time I do not wear a helmet.
If I ride around the block or any distance farther I Always wear a helmet.
My brain was scrambled fairly bad once before due to a motorcycle accident. This is something I wish not to repeat!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I agree! Big monstrous helmet and bright orange reflective vest would probably help a lot with visibility.
...but I'm also in the crowd that feels loud exhaust will bring attention...

but I'm now a stealth rider.
I try to be as inconspicuous as I can, navigating the gutterways abt town.
...watching parked vehicles for a door abt to open, or some distracted operator turning their auto into me.

Oh well.
rc

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I started wearing one 'cause I found a cool one I really liked. Then noticed that cars didn't treat me like a 10 MPH, regular bicycle. Could tell the difference with and with out a helmet.

But then had a face-planting accident while wearing it. Was only around 20 MPH but my head struck forehead first. Could have been bad.
If I am going 3 doors down and back to my driveway to test something, I put it on.

.duh.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
If theres no traffic on my street and im just goin' around the block and tunin' i don't wear one cuz i can only go to full speed for a very short burst before i slow down and turn a corner. Any other time, i wear my reflector vest and helmet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wear a Black Nut Case bicycle helmet most of the time. I'm not religious about it, but Dallas is the only city in Texas with a adult helmet law.

One thing I'll never do is wear one of those freaky looking walnut head helmets that the spandexers seem to like so much. A Nut Case resembles a batters helmet, or a polo helmet, and doesn't look too bad.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you only get the choice of picking what bucket your brain goes in BEFORE its all over the road. I would rather not have my brain in a bucket that says rubbermaid. If it has a motor and 2/3 wheels the helmet is on. Where i live there is no such thing as a quick trip to the store or around the block.. its miles around a country block and 7 miles round trip to the nearest store

I wonder how ""COOL "" it would be to sit in a wheel chair drooling everyday and waiting to have somebody change your diaper?

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I've worn a helmet every time I ride a moto, streetbike or MB. Whether it's to the liquor store, tuning or racing. Been wearing them since elementary school

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm with you Magrider.

"Like a side-arm, insurance or cash. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"

Man, I gotta put that in the bumpersticker thread, lol.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I dont wear mine within a 5 or 6 block radius of the house or garage outside of that the brain bucket goes on .

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No one yell at me. The reason most accidents happen close to home, is that is where we ride/drive most. Worse, where we feel most safe.

Honest, I do not in any way mean to sound contrary. I really like you guys and want you to be OK! If you get on any 2 wheel any thing, wear all the protection you can!

A "fender bender" on 2 wheels is a leg. A "head-on" is our head!

Some one loves and needs you. Give them that respect.

Have you kept up with all the folks who just stopped posting?

End rant but man. Please just do this for the folks who care about ya.

Wear a helmet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirLurksAlot