Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The clutch is together and working well. No slippage of any of the components and little chance that there will be.

For the right side I slid a steel washer up against the bearing. This provided enough space for the sprocket hub to turn without hitting the bottom bracket tube. Then the sprocket and hub were next of course.

I tried the split collar up against the sprocket and then tubing from the collar to the pedal shaft hub. After considerable creative staring I removed the collar and took one of the many washers I made and filed the notches for the three screws holding the sprocket on and then the washer fit tightly against the sprocket. I cut another piece of tubing to fit between the washer and the pedal hub where it fits on the shaft and that seemed to be the charm.

On the left side I simply added a washer to take up the slack in case the slit collar allows the clutch to move. The washer went between the pedal hub and the slit collar.

Finally with the good advice of kind friends it's all fair sailing from now on. Lot's of little things to tidy up but the tri car is finished baring anything unforeseen popping up once it's on the ground.

It all seems so simple once it's done but as always it's a long climb to get to the top. Couple of days of cleaning up the shop and putting things back where they belong. and then it's button up the tri car and get the seat on it and wait for sunny weather so I can get the work bench out into the driveway and get some photos. Then the long awaited first ride.

Steve.

DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yea!! Like I said lots of ways to prevent the movement of the axle once the c clips were eliminated...just a matter then of spacing & locking down the excess lateral movement of the shaft.

Hope you're feeling up to making the final push to completion Steve & weather cooperates as well. Had 4 inches of snow 2 days ago and most has already melted in 50 degrees of sunshine yesterday with 60's forecast for several days I should get a lot accomplished. on both the sidecar and the fat e bike. Hub motor came in last evening so I might be riding it this afternoon....

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Sweet!
My machineshop bench hasn't recovered from converting a 1868 Vetterli from rim fire to center fire. Mouse droppings have something to do with it
Hopefully Steve, before your next MB project, you take time to recover all Photobucket images and imbed them on this tale of discovery and enlightenment.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: indian22

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, that is the only way to have snow if you have to have snow. Sound like snow here and if it lasts for a couple of weeks and is over 6" it's a severe winter.

My plan it to have it ready to go by next weekend and probably sooner. I want to push it outside and get some photos and get it running to see how it is and if there is anything it needs before I get it on the ground.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Tom,
I was going to take a photo of the workbench and then though why bother embarrassing myself. More likely to be rat droppings around here but the two cats offer a short life expectancy rate for rodents even though they are both thirteen years old. It moves therefore it dies.

I plan to ask my nephew if he can help me get the photos back from Photobucket. He's an Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constable as well as a communications expert in our National Guard. I'm afraid of losing them if I try it alone. He'll be off duty Monday.

I looked on Craigslist to see what the chances were of finding a lathe. All commercial models. Any small or hobby table top lathes here with our small population would either be worn beyond repair or highly sought after. Best chance would be a new Chinese made lathe and correct the known faults.

Canada has fewer people living here than California does and yet it's the second largest country in the world. As my dad used to say, It's mostly moose pasture and a few hardy settlers. To which I always add, It doesn't always pay to be Canadian but certainly always costs you.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt,
I was sitting in the garage looking at it after it was all together thinking the same thing. As the saying goes, it's easy if you know how.

When I looked at a problem it was wood related. May have taken a bit to solve the problem but that was the way my brain was wired. With metal not so much. My son, like you, Rick and Tom look at a problem that is related to metal and you see it as metal related and immediately start solving it. It's good to have friends. Thank you all.

This has been my salvation to have you all as friends. I have been fortunate enough to be able to do the work if you fellas solved the problem.

Steve.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Steve, watching your progress with anticipation. I really enjoy all the interest and wonderful possible solutions to the issues as they crop up. Great bunch of fellas, ya'll are, indeed! I remember the thrill of putting my bikes on the road the first time. I was 12 years old again after putting together a go-cart from scavenged parts and pieces thrown out in the alley for the trash collectors to haul away. I wish I had pictures of all the contraptions us boys cobbled together.

I think you are correct about the lathe. Since I quit the machine shop I have had several folks thought I would be interested in what they had. Most had been inherited, well worn, and not used in some time.Like you said, the possible repair and adjustments required could be a problem. I seen but never used the Chinese lathes but for the kind of work required for our bikes you can probably make it work just fine.

I have been hoping to have a chance to begin a cylindrical brass tank for my bike and then get back to getting my first bike (chopper) back on the road. Life seems to get in the way.

Good Luck,
Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Dan,
Wonderful to hear from you. Trash day and scavenging behind the apartments near us. Photos of those wonderful machines are safely secured in our minds. What a proud moment indeed when we took the latest one around the neighbourhood to be admired by others.

Old machinery. I understand how that goes all too well. How many times did I hear, Oh, you restore antique furniture. I have a ????? that belong to my Grandmother in the basement and it's been there for 45 years. Would you be interested in buying it? It only has a little bit of paint on it and it would be great once it's repaired.

And the kicker? I know you can repair it. They just never understand the difference between can and want to do they?

I looked up the lathes sold by Harbour Freight and there were the inevitable accompanying reports of how to repair/replace the plastic gears ect with real parts. Cheap enough that the factory could have done it and we'd have paid the extra.

A brass tank. What an addition to an already fabulous bike and then getting the chopper back on the road wonderful but as you said life stands in the way. I always liked to hear there was light at the end of the tunnel. No one understood it was the 7:15 Express Freight out of Topeka and the throttle was wide open.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Steve, watching your progress with anticipation. I really enjoy all the interest and wonderful possible solutions to the issues as they crop up. Great bunch of fellas, ya'll are, indeed! I remember the thrill of putting my bikes on the road the first time. I was 12 years old again after putting together a go-cart from scavenged parts and pieces thrown out in the alley for the trash collectors to haul away. I wish I had pictures of all the contraptions us boys cobbled together.

I think you are correct about the lathe. Since I quit the machine shop I have had several folks thought I would be interested in what they had. Most had been inherited, well worn, and not used in some time.Like you said, the possible repair and adjustments required could be a problem. I seen but never used the Chinese lathes but for the kind of work required for our bikes you can probably make it work just fine.

I have been hoping to have a chance to begin a cylindrical brass tank for my bike and then get back to getting my first bike (chopper) back on the road. Life seems to get in the way.

Good Luck,
Dan
Dan, as well you know offshore machines like a Italian Western, The Good The Bad and The Ugly. All my iron is vintage U.S. late 60's into the 80's. All bought between 2003 and 2005 when many company's in Illinois went off shore.
Tom from Rubicon

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Navy/Marine corp. F-4U Corsair

To close this down. The Merlin engined P40 in RAF use as the Kittyhawk. It wasn't the killing machine the Spitfire was, or as fast as others, but Alan Thornton said it was the nicest to fly, the sweetest harmonised controls. I'd liked to have spent more time talking with him, but it doesn't always work out how you want, does it?

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
To close this down. The Merlin engined P40 in RAF use as the Kittyhawk. It wasn't the killing machine the Spitfire was, or as fast as others, but Alan Thornton said it was the nicest to fly, the sweetest harmonised controls. I'd liked to have spent more time talking with him, but it doesn't always work out how you want, does it?
P40, Understandably one of the finest aircraft in it's day.
Heavily armored cockpit, and leak resistant fuel bladder.
Radial engine variant is new to me. Thanks for sharing.
Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Just heard from my son. He bought a go Kart with a 6.5 HP motor on it that needed replacing. He put a YZ250 2 stroke on it. He hasn't been able to get into 4th gear yet because he runs out of road where he lives before it happens but he did say it was scary fast.

I'll ask if there is video but he lives on a mountain top in Vermont so that may have to wait until spring.

Steve.

Last edited: