H Whizzer on Schwinn-Older Restoration

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Ray. I had a nice long conversation with Fred at the donut shop Saturday and learned a ton of stuff in just a few minutes. I told him you were planning to take me over to his place soon.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Talking to john a couple of weeks before, he mentioned they might have a ride but I got no confirmation so I missed it. I guess I need to get back in the loop.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Yup,doesn't surprise me. The only thing I think is, it should be..... say Top 5.
Next ride will probably be after the Delta Whiz-in.

Ray

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The valve seats looked a little wide so I narrowed them up a bit and gave it a 3 angle cut.

They lapped in real nice.

Chased all the threads. I like to use plug taps to get all the way into blind holes and it allowed me to do the head bolt holes without running into the cooling fin.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Dale, you do some very fine work. Thank you for sharing it with us, I really feel like what you do is under-appreciated, you don't just restore and fix various parts, but you often modify them and improve upon their intended function.

You have so much knowledge and mechanical skill, I wish I lived a little closer, I would love to just hang around your shop and soak up some your know-how.

Keep on doing what you do so well.

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Gilbert, It would be cool to have a closer community of builders, but for now, we'll rely on the forum to keep connected. Of course you or any other members are welcome here. I've gotten quite a few ideas from your bikes and intend to incorporate some in future projects. For example, your experience with GC Hondas and Comet belt drives has saved me a lot of research and money, and I thank you. I plan to visit some of the other shops in the So Cal area in the near future.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
After viewing the valves and seats through my optivisor, they could use a bit of finer lapping. So I broke out my Siuox lapping tool, made an adapter to fit the slot in the valve heads and finished the job.

A little guide lubricant the valves are in, i used my homemade spring compressor.

The engine is in my assembly stand and I was about to press the new needle bearing in the side cover when I thought I better see if the owner wants to buff it out and polish it. He has the equipment and it is a little beat up.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
[QUO TE=msrfan;651141]Afterbuwing the valves and seats through my optivisor, they could use a bit of finer lapping. So I broke out my Siuox lapping tool, made an adapter to fit the slot in the valve heads and finished the job.

A little guide lubricant the valves are in, i used my homemade spring compressor.

The engine is in my assembly stand and I was about to press the new needle bearing in the side cover when I thought I better see if the owner wants to buff it out and polish it. He has the equipment and it is a little beat up.

[/QUOTE]

You do excellent work as always Dale.I'd really would like to see the side cover when done (Polished)
Check your trunnion for excess play,might need to press in a bushing.

Ray

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The ring end gaps were right at the limit, so I found some NOS Whizzer .030 rings in my stash of parts. Hate for it to smoke after all the work I did. While waiting on my customer to polish the side cover, I put it on long enough to set the crank end play and valve clearances. Ray brought me a gasket set so I could torque the head on. Thanks Ray. I also installed the crank seal and slipped the carb and exhaust elbow on to see how it looks. Moving pretty slow on this build, but I keep busy on other projects. My buddy Joe wants me to get his Simplex running when I finish the Whizzer. I never worked on a Simplex, so it should be a real learning experience.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I got the side cover back from the owner all polished and it looks great. His was too deeply scratched, so I donated one of my spares. Now I need to double check the crank end play and finish the assembly. A little clean up and it gets installed onto the bike.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Zip. Starting to clean up the bike some. It's pretty disgusting. Even sitting in storage 5 miles from the ocean corrodes and rusts metals.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Tried some rubber dressing on the pedal blocks after cleaning.

Still pink but presentable. And now the pedals spin nicely.

Lots of rust where the pedal cranks were bent for engine clearance.

The race that retains the sprocket was worn heavily. Luckily I had a nice replacement. Taiwan cranks on a vintage Schwinn. The original builder cut more than a few corners.

A few minutes with a high speed Scotch Brite pad and some clearcoat made the cranks look a lot better.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I polished the chrome on the bars and gooseneck and replaced the rusty washers with AN stainless on the pinch and wedge bolts. Took the front wheel off to clean it up and find out why the Schwinn front drum brake had no lever or cable.

It was full of rust on the inside and the lining is worn down to the rivets. I cleaned it up, greased the bearings and put it back together for now.

Removing the tank revealed the front mount missing and some kind of glue or epoxy on the underside. The owner has an embossed tank to put on it so I'll just use this one for test riding.

Tomorrow I'll clean the rear wheel and motor mounting area. Should go pretty quick now that the engine is all together.