1988 bridgstone mb-1

GoldenMotor.com

pugidogs

Sep 30, 2015
Idaho
I bought this brand new, yep it dates me. It has not been on the road for 10 years plus. Man this was a good bike in the day. Everything still works top notch. Deore XT. I need a new seat and tires. Anyway, I am getting her back to running and the thought of motorizing her crossed my mind. It tough decision, she is a pretty nice bike. Help me out guys, I am on the fence with this one. Pugi

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Bridgestone is a good bike for motorizing. The MTB frames were really overbuilt in the 80s, and usually had Tange chromoly tubing. With a suspension fork or springer fork, it should ride nice.

dwnz

Jun 15, 2013
Christchurch
FWIW the mb-1 is now rather collectable amongst bicycle enthusiasts, so it's probably worth more in it's original condition rather than converted to another format. A quick google search will bear this out. There are plenty of similar era chrome-moly framed MTB's out there at yard sales, on craigslist, etc. for not too many dollars that would serve just as well for a motorised conversion.

pugidogs

Sep 30, 2015
Idaho
FWIW the mb-1 is now rather collectable amongst bicycle enthusiasts, so it's probably worth more in it's original condition rather than converted to another format. A quick google search will bear this out. There are plenty of similar era chrome-moly framed MTB's out there at yard sales, on craigslist, etc. for not too many dollars that would serve just as well for a motorised conversion.
Thanks, I am fully aware of it collector status. That is why I am on the fence about this, on the other hand this could be the next journey in its life with me that is coming up on 3 decades.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Sweet jeebus, if you motor it, be good to it! I'm nuts for old Bridgestones and the MB-1 is one of my faves. If if was in my work shop, I'd keep it as a pedaler. I actually jut overhauled an MB-1 for a friend last week. I'm still pedaling my '92 that I bought new set up for townie duty with a kiddie seat.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Go through the MB-1 carefully, and keep it on the road as a pedal bike. Try a set of Kenda K838's on it, they seem to have nice manners on pavement for the price.

Buy something a little less collectible. Motored bikes shake stuff loose & break things...

There are still some 88 to 93 vintage Giants out there cheap. Butted chrome-moly, would be fine with an engine mounted. I bought an early Giant Sedona a couple of years ago for 75 bucks. Great bike. Almost too nice for a cheap china engine. I have been riding it while trying to decide what to do with it.