Does a $50 better bike matter?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Do you do builds using higher end bikes? Say Dyno,Electra,Felt or Worksman?
Most of my builds are high end custom orders, the customer picks out a bike he likes and I motorize it.

My signature has a link to my builds page with a good sampling of my work but here are a couple higher end bike builds.

Those are the fun ones to build and test ride ;-}

XShark

Jul 10, 2013
Pensacola,Fl.
This is a very good thread and some of the things I've learned over the years from all sorts of projects. Money spent up front on a package deal that includes all or most of the stuff you want, is way cheaper than piecing it all together.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The quality of the individual bike matters. This is not necessarily directly related to cost because bikers like to bend over and take it at the bike shops and pay way too much. Spend money on nice components.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
What some consider quality, others may consider junk. There are some bikes that come "recommended" and there are some bikes that everybody seems to use that aren't "recommended". Then there are some people like me who just build whatever the h3ll they want and give a crap what anyone else thinks about it. Price and quality are two things I almost never associate. I built my custom cruiser on an old Schwinn frame (piece by piece, I might add) for $800. I built what I wanted, and dont care what anyone else thinks about the price tag or any of the parts I chose. There is one twist grip (throttle) one lever (front brake) and two switches (headlight and killswitch) on my handlebars, and no cables hanging out past my handlebars. So does a $50 better bike matter? It depends if you're more concerned with that $50 being on that price tag, or the fact that its coming out of your wallet.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Man.. My first and current motorized bicycle is on a DiamondBack Outlook.. The friend who helped me build it (who often uses cheaper bikes) said "Stick with Diamondback. They're really durable" I plan on doing so.. I can find them for under $100, and they've never let me down. Now while hanging at the bike shop, I though I saw a used trek with what I though were the fattest tires I've ever seen.. I'd do one of them in a heartbeat

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Man.. My first and current motorized bicycle is on a DiamondBack Outlook..
Pricey at close to $300 but I agree a fine bike that a motor goes on fairly easily with the right front mount.

I have this one I built on my own dime for a shop bike but using the electric trike for that now so it's up for sale now that it's broke in well.

Legal and everything with a 2012 YD Skyhawk 48cc ;-}

How did you do your Outlook handlebars Kreality?

Like most '10-speed' type bikes they are already crowed with 2 twisters and 2 levers so something has to go to add another twister and lever so pull the front derailleur and both brake levers and put on a dual pull brake lever and move the rear derailleur shifter to the left side.

Still 2 twisters and 2 levers and not 3 of each ;-}

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Pricey at close to $300 but I agree a fine bike that a motor goes on fairly easily with the right front mount.

I have this one I built on my own dime for a shop bike but using the electric trike for that now so it's up for sale now that it's broke in well.

Legal and everything with a 2012 YD Skyhawk 48cc ;-}

How did you do your Outlook handlebars Kreality?

Like most '10-speed' type bikes they are already crowed with 2 twisters and 2 levers so something has to go to add another twister and lever so pull the front derailleur and both brake levers and put on a dual pull brake lever and move the rear derailleur shifter to the left side.

Still 2 twisters and 2 levers and not 3 of each ;-}
Hey There!

The Kit came with these the handlebars you see. The stock (bike) bars were rubber, and peeling off anyway. That's all. my shifters are older, and are not rotary. So it's was just a matter of removing the old rubber.

Your diamondback looks pretty. I'm working on a 2nd. Based on the advice I been getting here. I might go Honda GX120